Wixom Tenor New Build

jimmybookout

Reaction score
Willie and I spec'd out a new Tenor back in April, he got started on it last week. Here are the specs:
Engelmann Spruce top
Indian Rosewood B/S (with sideport)
Spanish Cedar neck
Fingerboard and bridge in ebony (tie bridge)
Bloodwood binding on body/fingerboard/headstock
Segmented Bloodwood rosette
Gotoh mini 510 tuners
Ebony peghead veneer
K&K Twin Spot ukulele pickup
1.5" nut width, 1.75" string spacing at saddle

Enough talk, here are some photos
WW Top with Bloodwood rosette.jpgWW Sides complete.jpg

Looks to be a nice instrument - congrats :) When will it be completed for you?

Aloha Jimmy,
Congrats on you new Wixom Build....Welcome to the Club...Betcha you cannot wait man...It was harder at building time than waiting for it to start....wait till it is finished and you are
waiting for delivery....ha ha Willie got mine over the pacific in 3 days though....

Aloha Jimmy,
Congrats on you new Wixom Build....Welcome to the Club...Betcha you cannot wait man...It was harder at building time than waiting for it to start....wait till it is finished and you are
waiting for delivery....ha ha Willie got mine over the pacific in 3 days though....

Stan,
Being a lefty, you learn patience when waiting for instruments (my Eastman Pagelli took 2 YEARS), so this is a piece of cake. Willie and I finalized everything in April of this year, he actually started a little early on mine so I figure he will be right on his projected delivery of September.
That said, I can't wait. I think it is going to be a stunning ukulele.

Jimmy

Aloha Jimmy,
Congrats on the forthcoming Wixom. Had the peasure of having lunch with Stan and Jammin with our Wixoms a couple weeks ago.
Showed mine to musician friends of mine in Waikiki/Honolulu and got favorable reviews, especially the looks.
You'll have fun with yours as much as Justin is having right now.
Oh, like Stan, recieved mine in 3 days to Maui from Cali.
Will visit Willie in 2 weeks when I'm back in Cali. Have plans for a Concert though the wait list is June 2013 at last count.
September is right around the corner, hang in there...................................BO........................

Stan,
Being a lefty, you learn patience when waiting for instruments (my Eastman Pagelli took 2 YEARS), so this is a piece of cake. Willie and I finalized everything in April of this year, he actually started a little early on mine so I figure he will be right on his projected delivery of September.
That said, I can't wait. I think it is going to be a stunning ukulele.

Jimmy
I'm a soft lefty....born lefty.....but while is was 4 years old, my mother used to hit my hand with a stick everytime I grabbed with my left hand.....
I was a confused kid in kindergarden and flunked....all of a sudden I started to write my letters and numbers backwards...I flunked kindergarden..
the doctors did not know what happened to me and though I was retarded...LOL looking back now, parents don't do this to your kid and try to
switch them.... I know my mother meant well....Now I do some things right handed while others left handed....believe me I know about patience
from and early age.... Keep us updated on your wixom....it looks great and thank you for sharing the pictures..

Last edited:
I'm a soft lefty....born lefty.....but while is was 4 years old, my mother used to hit my hand with a stick everytime I grabbed with my left hand.....
I was a confused kid in kindergarden and flunked....all of a sudden I started to write my letters and numbers backwards...I flunked kindergarden..
the doctors did not know what happened to me and though I was retarded...LOL looking back now, parents don't do this to your kid and try to
switch them.... I know my mother meant well....Now I do some things right handed while others left handed....believe me I know about patience
from and early age.... Keep us updated on your wixom....it looks great and thank you for sharing the pictures..

Stan,
Wow...

In my case, I am actually right handed, when I first picked up an ukulele (at 8 years old), it felt more natural left handed (my dominant hand doing the fretting), so I reversed the strings, got a Mel Bay book (never had a problem reversing the chord diagrams in my head), and here I am at 55, still playing left handed. It's funny, my long time playing partner, Tom, says that he's so used to watching me (a mirror image of what he's doing), that it messes him up watching right handed players now!

Thanks for the nice words, I am excited about the Wixom. As it turns out, I am going to be in Napa on business in early October, so I'm going to drive over to Sacramento and meet Willie, see the shop, and pick up my ukulele.

Jimmy

Here's the body, bound in bloodwood, with the endgraft also in bloodwood.I think it looks great (and ties in to the rosette). Willie is also going to bind the fingerboard and hearstock in bloodwood.

Jimmy
WW Body bound.jpg

Last edited:
The first bound headstock i've seen willie do. It is a beauty.

Ditto what Justin said...................bee----you----tee-----ful................
Gonna be a stunner for sure. Can't wait to see the finished product..........................BO......................

Thanks everybody.
No neck reinforcement, Willie and I talked about it and he doesn't feel it's neccessary.

The amber tuner buttons were an experiment that I thought would look good with the bloodwood binding....boy, was I wrong!
I'm sending Willie black buttons on Monday (same 510 Mini shape).

Jimmy

PS. I bet Willie thinks those amber buttons look bad too, but he's too kind to say so (since they were my bright idea)! Probably why he sent me 3 different pics of the unfinished headstock with the tuners mounted temporarily (so I would figure it out for myself).

The first bound headstock i've seen willie do. It is a beauty.[/QUOTE]

I think he's done them before, it seems like I saw one somewhere....
Anyway, I really like that headstock shape (like a Torres Classical guitar shape, My Hippner "Torres" model classical has the same shape), the bloodwood binding with the black/white/black purfling really sets it off. The fingerboard will have that same binding/purfling treatment, with square maple position/side markers.

Here's what the position markers will look like, except in maple
tn_480_5d38faece12b990942776ba096d06730_JPG.jpg

Attachments

• WWHeadstocksideshowingbinding.jpg
    WWHeadstocksideshowingbinding.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Body/neck/fingerboard all together
WW neck attached.jpg

Good shot of the side port, maple side markers and bloodwood heelcap
WW Side port and heel cap.jpg

Jimmy