End Pin Jack Location?

Fuengi

Reaction score
The Makala I learnt on has become a bit of a guinea pig for my more costly Ukes.

I installed a bug pickup in it with the end pin jack coming out in the centre of the butt having seen various videos perscribing this method.

It went fine, but in hindsight and with a view to doing this again with a better pickup and a more expensive uke, I think I might move away from the centre of the butt and down more on the 45 degrees.

Why?

Well, because you avoid drilling a hole through the structurallly important section of the uke - there was a fair bit of timber to drill through down there - and the jack has to sit right through the timber with the nut unwound right back to allow the jack to come through it.

Also I think it's a nicer spot for the lead to spill out from, a more natural angle.

So, my only concern with moving it down is that the wood there will be too thin to avoid cracking when the lead is plugged in (especially if I'm windmilling around playing The Who).

What are your considered thoughts on this thorny issue chaps?

Yes, the wood there is too thin to do this.

I wouldn't do this, especially on an expensive uke. I'd say the chance of you cracking the side is too much of a risk, even if the install is sucessfull it could crack later from the stress of movement. If you really really want to try it, I'd brace the inside with a piece of wood so the unit isn't putting pressure on such a thin piece of wood.

Hi Mike,

I was thinking of putting one in my Mainland...

I thought about a section of ply to beef up the inside. I could cut and slot it on the jack pin ready and feed it in. Then you'd still need a large washer on the outside too.

Hmmm...

I installed the output jack on my laminate-sided tenor in the 45 degree position. I have had no trouble with it cracking, but as others have said the wood is awfully thin there. In addition, when I want to play it sitting down, the output cable always seem to hit me in the leg. laminates are less prone to crack, but I would not want to install at jack in that position on an expensive solid wood side uke. The next one I install will definitely go on the butt.

I would not worry too much about a pickup hole harming the structural integrity of the uke. All the ones I have seen have a pretty substantial block of wood under the butt. If you are worried about stresses on the butt block, think how much more potential for damage there will be if the pickup jack is hanging on a very thin piece of wood in the 45 degree position.

Last edited:
Don't you also need a flat surface inside for the nut to sit on?
I wouldn't do it on a solid wood side without a block inside. Laminate might be OK but solid would wold definitely crack someday.

It might be interesting to build one from scratch with the tail block/butt joint off center for the output jack. :music:

Sounds like you are using a flush mount output jack. I'd use a standard end pin jack that threads in to the tailpiece. You don't need a nut with it. You can also get an end pin jack with a pre-amp in it. You can use a switchcraft jack on a side but I don't like the idea as mentioned above.

Top Bottom