Cedar top Dolphin?

mketom

Reaction score
So what is it that makes Makala Dolphins so popular? Can't be the colorful paint finishes, can't be the plastic back, those are not unique to the Dolphin. Must be that cool dolphin-shaped bridge, right?

So here's my spin on the Dolphin... my 5th Ukulele-shaped-object, a mezzo-soprano with concert neck.
Western red cedar top, maple back, sides and neck, ebony fretboard, headstock and bridge with abalone inlays.

No5-1.jpgNo5-2.jpgNo5-4.jpgNo5-6.jpgNo5-7.jpg

That is certainly a stunning little Uke...outclasses it's inspiration by a long shot! Can we get a picture of the headstock inlay?
So what is it that makes Makala Dolphins so popular? Can't be the colorful paint finishes, can't be the plastic back, those are not unique to the Dolphin. Must be that cool dolphin-shaped bridge, right?

So here's my spin on the Dolphin... my 5th Ukulele-shaped-object, a mezzo-soprano with concert neck.
Western red cedar top, maple back, sides and neck, ebony fretboard, headstock and bridge with abalone inlays.

View attachment 41001View attachment 41002View attachment 41003View attachment 41004View attachment 41005

Thanks! Here's another pic. It needs some set-up yet, but in a few days I'll try for a sound sample.

No5-headstock.jpg

So, it's not just the Chinese making copies, huh?

Pretty cool Tom. No, very cool Tom. First impressions on the sound, besides needing some set-up?

So, it's not just the Chinese making copies, huh?

Here you go Steve

001-4.jpg

That is most excellent! Would be so cool to say casually, yeah, I play a Dolphin, and then whip that out.
I love it!

That's a fine looking ukulele! Nice job with the bridge. Can I buy it for around $40.00? I guess that's what these dolphin ukuleles go for. Honestly, you did a great job with the bridge.

Last edited:
Great job on that bridge!

Wish my Dolphins looked like that!! Great job.

that uke is as sweet as a nut man, really nice inlay work on both the frog (love his red eyes) and the dolphin bridge, excellent piece of buildmanship

Top Bottom