I need help picking out my first Uke!

UkuleleWolf

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I love this site. I wouldn't know anything about the ukulele without it. I have been watching videos, reading posts, listening to Jake and so on for about 3 days now. I am obsessed with the Ukulele! I am only 14 so money is a pretty hard thing for me to get (even though I found a way to save up for a $130 guitar a couple of years ago). Without adding too much blabber I just want to say I need help picking out my very first ukulele.
These are the things that I NEED:
1)Price range: $100(U.S) or less. I might be able to scoop up some extra money for a kit or bundle of some sort but don't feel like going much past this.
2)A good quality ukulele that even you veterans/experts would play if you had to.
3) A classic looking Ukelele but with personality, not just a box of wood with strings.
4)A great seller that can ship to Texas for fairly cheap. (Or a high rated local seller in Dallas,Texas if they have any).

Lastly here are some things I want but wouldn't mind giving up:
1)Made of all wood.
2)Fairly forgiving on beginners.
3)Good tuners. I have heard people like geared tuners a lot but I am not really sure what that means.

Alot of people say to start on the Concert or Soprano size but I am not sure which to choose. I love all ukuleles (although I want to steer away from baritone for awhile because the different tuning and price) and I play guitar. If I could get a decent Ukulele for $100 or a great, yet smaller size, for the same price then I would go with the smaller size.

And that is it! I am sorry if this post is odd or wasting your time but I am trying my best to cut to the chase. Another thing, if you think I might be impulse buying or something since I have only been watching for about 3 days, then it's okay because I will not be able to actually get the money for another month or so.
Once again, thanks for all who are reading this and are helping me!

-UkuleleWolf :eek:

Just to add, for me, poor intonation will put you off playing an instrument. The smaller the ukulele, the harder it will be to setup with decent intonation. Intonation can be thrown off just by using heavier or lighter gauge strings too (thicker strings makes notes go sharper, thinner - flatter). So my advice, would be to get a Tenor size as it will have the best chance of better intonation and will also have better sustain (I went from guitar to ukulele - tried concert first and found the frets a little too close together the higher up you play, after only a couple of months, I went all out and bought a nice tenor after knowing I really like playing ukulele). I've bought two ukuleles and both had proper setup. I've played ukuleles that have not been setup and they are off the higher up the fretboard you go. Check out Hawaii Music Supply or other online stores that do setup. I think for the cheaper ukulele, the setup is even more important in helping them be more musically accurate. The price rage your at though is basically at the starter/beater ukulele price rage so don't expect anything the Jake would play live. Even Jake recommends people starting off playing a nice ukulele as if it sounds good, it will encourage you to play and if you play more, you will improve more. If you have a local shop nearby, just try them all out. I used to pick guitars by hearing how the guitars sounded and felt when played. Pick that one that calls to you. If I had to try get a cheap ukulele, from a design point, I like the design of the Brueko no 6 (http://www.brueko.de/shop/index.php?language=en). Everyone has their own tastes on what looks good and what sounds good so I think the common ground on what everyone would want would be for it to be at least musically accurate on intonation. Good luck with your search and be prepared to become a ukulele collector.

The standard answer around here when one asks for a playable and inexpensive uke is the Makala Dolphin. Just be sure to order it from someone who does a setup on it (Uke Republic, etc).

Many agree, you can't go wrong with a well setup Dolphin but I'd like to suggest the Kala KA-SLNG. It has a concert scale neck on a soprano body, a bound fretboard and a very classic look. I think a concert scale may be a little easier for a beginner. The Kalas are generally well built for the price point and if bought from a dealer that does a proper setup you can be assured of an instrument that will serve you well as you learn and beyond.

http://youtu.be/NHYaFcbnmnk

Last edited:
I'd like to second a Dolphin.

3) A classic looking Ukelele but with personality, not just a box of wood with strings.
Even though I'd second the Dolphin, it will not exactly fit into "classic looking". But the other Kala and Makala ukes do fit for sure (and offer good value for little starter money).

3)Good tuners. I have heard people like geared tuners a lot but I am not really sure what that means.
"Geared" means they are like guitar tuners vs. the classic (direct) friction tuners like e.g. on a violin (Google will be able to find pictures of both if necessary). Which ones are best is usually a matter of personal preference and taste - they all do their job and keep the strings in tune. As you are coming from a guitar I'd recommend geared tuners for a start though.

Regarding vendors you will have seen a lot of recommendations here in the forums....
One of the often recommended dealers is Hawaii Music Supply who happen to have a special offer for the KA-SLNG (88 USD) right now. Or you go for the KA-S Soprano (69 USD).
From what I read in the forums here you shouldn't be wrong with one of these two ukes.

BTW: I am not in any way related/connected to HMS or Kala.

Check out the Lanakai uke's. I played an LU21 soprano and it served me well. Sounded great the longer I owned it. I sold it to a friend who was just learning the uke and kinda wish I would have held onto it...The LU serise are great ukes and the soprano/concert can be had for under or near 100.00

Good luck on your quest-if possible, play as many as you can and buy the one that speaks to you.

Or... Keep watching the UU marketplace and the flea marketplace for good deals on second hand ukes. Place a wtb post in uu marketplace. I have seen soprano fleas and mainlands for sale for just over $100.
Good luck with your first uke.

If you can't find a local store with good ukes, I also highly recommend Hawaii Music Supply. Their extensive website and great customer service really helps you feel at ease about buying a uke "sight unseen".

This link is a link to their website in the under $200 range. You can browse through and see if there's something you like. Many of them also have video sound samples.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/39-199.html?p=1

The other great thing about HMS is that they do a through set up on all the ukes that go out the door from their store, regardless of whether it is a $100 uke or a $1000 uke. They check the action, dress the frets, etc. Like many have said, a properly set up instrument will be the easiest and most enjoyable to play. Not saying they'll be able to make your $100 uke sound like a $1000 uke, but they will maximize the potential of that $100 uke and really put it in the best possible condition that it can be as far as ease of playability.

Also, if you have any questions you can call or email them directly and they will answer any questions you may have. They are great in that regard.

As always, if you can find a good shop that carries quality ukes near you that you can go in and try out... that is ideal, but short of that, HMS is a great route to take.

Really can't emphasize the importance of a good set up job, especially in the entry level ukulele. Take the time to find someplace that will ensure it's properly set up for you.

Happy ukeing!

I'd like to suggest Moku Ukuleles. Their Choice Series ukes start around $100, both Uke Republic and Mim's Ukes carry them, and both will set one up to play nicely. I would go with a Concert size uke. For me, that's a happy medium between Soprano and Tenor ukes. Just my two cents.

I second the Moku idea. Mike is very helpful, the ukes are of high quality for the price. You can't go wrong, and Mim is the coolest!
Oh, and welcome!

The only thing I would add as a reletavely new starter is that I went from a soprano to CONCERT and I am loving the concert size, it is great to work with and a good compromise for the beginner.

Don't forget the most important thing..get your self a good clip on chromatic tuner..Snark ot Cherub google them

And that is it! I am sorry if this post is odd or wasting your time but I am trying my best to cut to the chase. Another thing, if you think I might be impulse buying or something since I have only been watching for about 3 days, then it's okay because I will not be able to actually get the money for another month or so.
Once again, thanks for all who are reading this and are helping me!

-UkuleleWolf :eek:

Welcome aboard, Wolf! Don't ever feel asking a question about a 'ukulele is a waste of time here. That's what we're all here for! I personally have gotten a lot of valuable information from reading what members have replied to other people's questions.

I have a Dolphin and if you upgrade the strings you can get a nice sound. I didn't want to spend a lot of money without knowing if I enjoyed it, but I wanted an instrument that would not be frustrating to learn on. I did not order from one of the vendors mentioned here who do such a great job setting the 'ukes up, and I wish I had, but I got lucky so it worked out okay. I like my Dolphin and I like the soprano size, but it's really personal preference, based on sound as well as feel.

Definitely get in touch with some of the vendors mentioned here, and if there is a 'uke group near you perhaps you can attend and try out a few 'ukes, at least to see what size you like.

Good luck!

I just bought the Kala KA-S, Soprano size. I initially wanted a Concert, but I was having a hard time making up my mind and it was a little more than I wanted to spend for my first uke.

But the Soprano is great. I got it from Sam Ash Direct (online) - it was $69 bucks with free shipping and came with Aquila strings. I'm really digging it.

One of the often recommended dealers is Hawaii Music Supply who happen to have a special offer for the KA-SLNG (88 USD) right now. Or you go for the KA-S Soprano (69 USD).
From what I read in the forums here you shouldn't be wrong with one of these two ukes.

BTW: I am not in any way related/connected to HMS or Kala.

I'm not connected to HMS except as a satisfied customer. Got my granddaughter's Kala Pineapple on Oahu. From your description, I'd jump on the Kala SLNG on special as it fits your requirements well.

Top Bottom