Baritone - Finger stretch problems playing G tuned tab on D tuned baritone

Ben_H

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn finger picking on both soprano and baritone using Mark Kailana Nelson's Finger Style Solos.

I'm not transposing the tab for my D tuned baritone and it means I have some very big stretches that I cannot play yet. A good example is the chord shape 3,x,1,5 ( D--->E) which I can hold on the soprano but haven't a whelk's chance in a supernova on the baritone.

Is this:
a) Something I should persevere with and the stretch will come with time and practice?

b) A stretch too far for any normal person and I should find an alternative fingering/transpose the piece of music?

I talked to a friend this morning who plays guitar and he says it's unusual to play across more than 3 frets at a time.

What do people think?

The stretch can come in time and it is possible. I am able to make the stretch with finger 2 on the D string, finger 1 on the B string and finger 4 on the E string. Play just the 3,x,x,5 or x,x,1,5 and see which sounds better in the arrangement. Which piece is this shape in?

Last edited:
I am able to make the stretch with finger 2 on the D string, finger 1 on the B string and finger 4 on the E string. Play just the 3,x,x,5 or x,x,1,5 and see which sounds better in the arrangement. Which piece is this shape in?

Twinkle Twinkle, second version with the quaver/half note picking. I think it's the start of the second bar/ measure and is mentioned in the performance notes. Mark has it down as a Bb variation I think for the accompaniment. I don't have the book in front of me.

Twinkle Twinkle, second version with the quaver/half note picking. I think it's the start of the second bar/ measure and is mentioned in the performance notes. Mark has it down as a Bb variation I think for the accompaniment. I don't have the book in front of me.

I see it. You could roll through the fingers without holding the chord. That would effect the harp-like sustain quality, but would catch all the notes. You could make the first 5 a quarter note and continue with the 1-5 as eighth notes until you can make the stretch on the baritone. The stretch is possible.

Try forming 2,0,1,3 with your pinky on the 1st string 3rd fret. Now, while holding fret 1, stretch the 2nd finger from fret 2 to 3 and your pinky from fret 3 to 5. The thumb needs to be behind the neck to help open up the hand to make the stretch.

Or, if the stretch is just too far, you could play the notes up the neck x565 and and play the same notes. xxx5, xx6x, x5xx, xxx5. It is a large hand shift, but the tempo is moderate and the shape is familiar.

Last edited:
Might try a set of "Yoga Hands" which are available on Amazon. Wear on fretting hand while watching tv, sitting at desk, etc. GO SLOW FOR SHORT PERIODS with the stretching so you don't over do it and hurt your hand. And practice will get you there, too, as others have stated.

Might try a set of "Yoga Hands" which are available on Amazon. Wear on fretting hand while watching tv, sitting at desk, etc. GO SLOW FOR SHORT PERIODS with the stretching so you don't over do it and hurt your hand. And practice will get you there, too, as others have stated.

Not sure I can find your yoga hands as a web search only brings up a couple of books that seem less about stretching and more about "hand positions for health, wealth and happiness." That's no bad thing in it's own right but wasn't the primary objective of this thread.

On the positive side I have have spent 8 hours in a car over the last few days and have managed to do some regular stretching and last night I tried a few finger placements including the 3, x ,1, 5 mentioned above and although it wasn't particularly secure, or quick to get to I could do it. Obviously practising variations of my vulcan greeting is helping :)

Does anyone have a reasonably comprehensive list of finger stretches? I'm currently doing opening and closing fists, individual finger stretches to bottom of palm and vulcan variations. I also picked up a yoga, whole hand stretch from an article in the guardian newspaper. I've spent so much money this month on uke stuff I really shouldn't spend any more on books for a while ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom