Ukes in the range of 300$ to 350$

Peetypete

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm still looking for a new uke to buy. I really want to step it up but all can spend right now is somewhere between 300 and 350 USD. Im just looking for some help with what are the best ukuleles in that range. Id prefer it to be either tenor or concert.... my last uke was a concert and iv heard that once you get more into it a tenor is the way to go. Just throw out some ideas! Thanks!!!

I'd recommend a Mainland. Good solid playability without breaking the bank. In a concert you should be able to get the uke and a hard foam case within your budget, in a tenor you'll probably only get the uke.

There are some other good choices in this price range but I recommend Mainland 'cause I know Mike always sets them up. Some of the other brands in this range you should really buy only from a dedicated uke dealer like Mim, or HMS, or Uke Republic or what have you because Kalas, Lanikais, etc. very frequently need to be set up and the "big" outfits just grab the next box off the pallet and kick it out the door.

John

Aloha Pete,
I'd start a thread in the UU and Flea Market place for a " Want to Buy" and see what replies you get....as I told you and others, Mainland is good and within your budget..
but a used one will give you a higher grade ukulele...wait and save until you get the right reply on one that comes along..Good Luck Petey....Happy Strummings..

Hey guys i can't thank all of you enough for the advice! I think ill take some time and think about it before i do anything. But one last question.... tenor or concert? Which has the better sound?

Aloha Petey,
If you can go to a music shop, go and try the sizes out...look for intonation, voice, playability, comfort, action first
as you know, personal preference is a big factor in getting what you want...I always say, try before you buy.
to me looks is always secondary, what is a nice uke if it doesn't sound nice or please your taste? just a dust magnet.

Aloha Petey,
If you can go to a music shop, go and try the sizes out...look for intonation, voice, playability, comfort, action first
as you know, personal preference is a big factor in getting what you want...I always say, try before you buy.
to me looks is always secondary, what is a nice uke if it doesn't sound nice or please your taste? just a dust magnet.

Well I have had one of each before, I just had a tenor Riptide ukulele... but i returned it. I liked the sound of the tenor and it was very comfortable but i felt like i loved the sound of my concert because it had a more original ukulele sound to it.

I can't really find any concert or tenor mainland ukes with a gloss finish and i leave soon :/

I'll chime in with a recommendation for the Kala solid acacia tenor. $349.00 at most of the online sellers.

UU member "jumping flea" did a real in-depth video review of it here.

I'll chime in with a recommendation for the Kala solid acacia tenor. $349.00 at most of the online sellers.

UU member "jumping flea" did a real in-depth video review of it here.

I saw that uke last week but I didn't know if it would be the right fit or not since I'm still trying to decide wether I was a concert or tenor. But it looks like a great uke and the reviews are great as well.

I saw that uke last week but I didn't know if it would be the right fit or not since I'm still trying to decide wether I was a concert or tenor. But it looks like a great uke and the reviews are great as well.

I just bought the Kala KA-ASAC-T solid top acacia from Hawaii Music Supply ($349) and have been extremely pleased. I knew they would give me a good setup, but I selected this uke because I was shopping in the same price range as you, wanted to get a solid wood tenor, and wanted something with a soft, mellow voice. HMS had videos with sound samples for all the ukes I considered. The Kala website also had sound files for each of their models. It would have been nice to actually have held my purchase in my hand prior to buying it, but thanks to the videos and sound tracks available I was completely satisfied and happy. The Kala KA-ASAC-T with low G Worth Strings gave me the voice I wanted my new uke to have and was in the price range I required. If you are looking for a brighter sound it is probably not one for you to consider.

Pono and Islander mahoganies are at the top end of your range but both excellent choices. HMS has both.

For this price range I would look only at the Islander by Kanile'a. You can get a solid wood Islander for this price. The great thing about the Islanders are that they have the exact dimensions of Kanile'as (including 1.5" nut) so if you ever transition to a high end Hawaiian made uke like a Kanile'a the transition is seamless. The other benefit is setup. All Islanders are set up by the same guys who set up Kanile'as. On top of that I have also bought a uke from Hawaii Music Supply and would highly recommend them (especially if you get a Kala which requires set up from the factory). Can't go wrong with Islanders or HMS. Hope this helps.

i just made the move as well from a simple concert (KALA) to a better Tenor in this price range - Anuenue Papa III electric.
i havn't received it yet, i ordered it from a US seller on ebay and i live in Israel were Ukes are practically non existent!
i played the Anuenue a few months back when i was in thailand bangkok and in this price range it was definitely the best uke in two suke stores i have tried. i got it on ebay fro 300$ + shipping fees.

A lot of whether you go with tenor or concert is going to be personal preference. Personally, I really like the tenor size, and I like the sound I get out of a tenor. I started out on a concert, but once I got my hands on a tenor, I haven't gone back. In time I may go back to the concert size if I end up looking at a higher end concert, because a lot of the higher end concerts can compete with good tenors sound and projection-wise, and generally you can get "more bling for your buck" as in you can get nicer wood, more bells and whistles etc. on a concert vs. a tenor since they are smaller.

If you can find a place near you that has concert and tenor sized ukes so that you can get your hands on them and decide what feels best to you, even if you don't plan on buying those specific models... i.e. just go in for the "feel test" to see which size you are gravitating towards...

Then once you decide on what size you can start checking out the places that you are actually planning to buy your uke from that has the models you are looking for, or posting a WTB in the marketplace.

And another thumbs up for HMS. They are awesome. Customer service is top notch and their extensive website is one of the best I've seen as far as making you feel secure about buying an instrument without actually getting to play it first.

Hey guys I'm still looking for a new uke to buy. I really want to step it up but all can spend right now is somewhere between 300 and 350 USD. Im just looking for some help with what are the best ukuleles in that range. Id prefer it to be either tenor or concert.... my last uke was a concert and iv heard that once you get more into it a tenor is the way to go. Just throw out some ideas! Thanks!!!

Here is a great offer on honolulu craigs list...http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/3169636284.html

my last uke was a concert and iv heard that once you get more into it a tenor is the way to go. Just throw out some ideas! Thanks!!!

I wouldn't think of it as "graduating" to a tenor, or that tenor is the next step, or anything like that. They are just different, and it's a matter of what is right for you. You may be very happy with a concert. A lot of people have alluded to that; it really comes down to what you like to play. Of course, this doesn't help you with your decision, but it's important to keep in mind.

Top Bottom