Makala Dolphin Thickness?

iBankai145

Reaction score
I got a Makala Dolphin about two months ago. After watching some YouTube video reviews on it, I found that the reviewers' dolphins seemed to have a thicker body than mine. Did Makala change their dolphin design? Just curious

iBankai145

Had mine for probably about a year maybe a little longer. It's 1 7/8" thick. Hope this helps.

I got a Makala Dolphin about two months ago. After watching some YouTube video reviews on it, I found that the reviewers' dolphins seemed to have a thicker body than mine. Did Makala change their dolphin design? Just curious

iBankai145

about 18 -24 months ago they (Kala) went to a plastic body from an all wood body. That is probably the difference you are seeing.

We have a small pod of Dolphins here and I had noticed a difference in thickness, but until I saw this thread I never thought much about it. The first two I bought about 2 to 2 1/2 years ago just as Kala was switching from wood to plastic body, one is wood and is about 2 3/8" (60mm) thick the other is plastic and is about 2 5/16" (58mm). We got 2 more grandkids about a year ago so had to get them Dolphins too and they are both plastic and are about 1 15/16" (50mm), and since they were so much fun I had to get one for myself about 6 months ago and it's also about 1 15/16". So at least from my experience the thickness has changed a couple of times.

Would the difference in thickness affect the way the dolphins fit inside a standard soprano gig bag?

iBankai145

I just received a Brown Dolphin yesterday and this was a replacement for a RedBurst that I received damaged a week ago. The Brown one is much thicker ( 2 5/16") and has more of an arch on the back side. Sound is noticeably superior with the thicker body. I thought maybe this Brown one might have been from older stock, but it has the same lot number as the RedBurst. Go figure! Anyway, let me send out a "kudos" to Mike at UkeRepublic for taking a bad situation and making it right!

Wooville

Just to clarify, I am fairly sure only the back and sides are plastic now, the tops are laminate wood.

I just received a Brown Dolphin yesterday and this was a replacement for a RedBurst that I received damaged a week ago. The Brown one is much thicker ( 2 5/16") and has more of an arch on the back side. Sound is noticeably superior with the thicker body. I thought maybe this Brown one might have been from older stock, but it has the same lot number as the RedBurst. Go figure! Anyway, let me send out a "kudos" to Mike at UkeRepublic for taking a bad situation and making it right!

Wooville

My red one sounds great, but one 2 5/16" probably sounds fantastic. I will have a Choco for Rocko in the near future. I love these little guys. Imagine if they built other sizes. Look out Fleas and Flukes

Top Bottom