Concert or Tenor??

Peetypete

Reaction score
Im in the process of buying another uke. Right now its between a Mainland or a kale acacia but the thing that is holding me up is whether or not I should get a concert or tenor... I have had both sizes and i couldn't decide which i like more.

I know i want a more true original ukulele sound to it and i am also getting into picking more now. But I'm not sure what size i should be getting.

Please post some suggestions or some of your on opinions on the sizes that will help a lot!!! Thanks again!

Im in the process of buying another uke. Right now its between a Mainland or a kale acacia but the thing that is holding me up is whether or not I should get a concert or tenor... I have had both sizes and i couldn't decide which i like more.
I know i want a more true original ukulele sound to it and i am also getting into picking more now. But I'm not sure what size i should be getting.
Please post some suggestions or some of your on opinions on the sizes that will help a lot!!! Thanks again!
You have had both sizes and now you are getting into picking more. We are all different in our approach, that being said here is what I do.
I finger pick on the tenor with a low G. It has Fremont Low G flourocarbons on. (sp) I strum on a concert with Aquilas on. Reentrant tuning.
There will be many suggestions forthcoming I am sure. Good luck.

You have had both sizes and now you are getting into picking more. We are all different in our approach, that being said here is what I do.
I finger pick on the tenor with a low G. It has Fremont Low G flourocarbons on. (sp) I strum on a concert with Aquilas on. Reentrant tuning.
There will be many suggestions forthcoming I am sure. Good luck.

I figured tenor was more of a picking size... this is only my second ukulele. I just had a riptide tenor but i returned it. Im almost leaning towards a concert so that i can focus on strumming until i am good enough to move up to picking. But could i do a little picking on my concert?

You will have a fine time fingerpicking either size Pete so I think the scale isn't that big a deal. The tenor should give you a slightly fuller and more resonant tone whereas the concert will have slightly less sustain and more of that 'ukey' sound you're looking for. I just got the same ol' answer to the same ol' question: get BOTH...he he :p happy shopping mate!

Hi Pete. That's a tough one and totally personal. I've tried them all and keep coming back to to concert. For me, I like the way it cradles in my arms. Others will praise other aspects of either. I agree with the Tasman, get both!

By the way, in my opinion, if you stay mostly above the 10th fret either will do you right. If you like the whole neck then the tenor might be better for you. Also, are you talking high G or low G. Concert does well low G but you have less string type choices.

Thanks guys! I think I'm leaning towards the concert size I just really love the sound of it.

Tenor. You'll advance into it within a month.

i have soprano, concert and tenor. i played most on my soprano and tenor.....

Concert. For the streeeeeetchability.

Chords like 2229. I can't reach some of them on a tenor.

Concert. For the streeeeeetchability.
Chords like 2229. I can't reach some of them on a tenor.
HaHa!! The ukulele gymnastics at the next Olympics. Why bother with two F#'s when the D at 2225 is within reach or just leave the A open at 2220 and call it "Music for Relaxing". But as eugene has said on posting #4.......
"""You will have a fine time fingerpicking either size Pete so I think the scale isn't that big a deal. The tenor should give you a slightly fuller and more resonant tone whereas the concert will have slightly less sustain and more of that 'ukey' sound you're looking for. """
eugene said it so much better than I.
Jim

Top Bottom