Smell of Mainland Mango

Evan.

Reaction score
Disclaimer: This post is not a complaint about anything. I realize it may read that way though.

My classical guitar (spruce Antonio Aparicio AA15) smells wonderful. It's obviously the wood that smells and it's a thing of beauty. (I'm being serious, by the way :)) I especially notice a healthy rolling waft of beauty when I open the case and the humidity is around 55%.

On the other hand, I'm a little curious about the smell of my matte finish Mainland mango.

I bought a 'bronze tweed hard case' with my uke and it arrived in the case. I opened the case and immediately noticed that the case had that new smell - which has dissipated a lot since my uke arrived about a month ago.

I'm pretty sure that it's the case that has a strange smell and I think that the smell of the case is overpowering the smell of the mango wood. I've kept my uke in the case since it arrived. Somedays I'll leave the case open while I'm playing and the smell has gradually weakened, but I can't tell if the smell of the wood is strengthening.

Any thoughts? Will the wood smell blossom over time? Could it be that I'm smelling the wood now and just think that it's the case?

Hi

Leave your case open for a few days and let those nasty adhesives gas-out. Take your uke out and let it breathe. All will be well. It won't smell as pretty as spruce, but it won't smell like jet fuel anymore.

Yeah...mango is not an especially good or bad smelling wood but you definitely don't want it smelling like the case.

You might want to let the case sit open and empty outdoors in sunlight for several hours, maybe even several hours two or three days in a row. The sunlight should encourage those nasty glues and vinyls to "outgas."

I did have one gig bag I ended up throwing away though because it was so bad that playing the uke kept in it would turn my stomach. After nothing I tried worked it went to stink up the landfill...

John

HA HA HA. My smelly case has been open outside and inside for a couple of years now. As soon as you close it. Ooh. It is such a nice case. Anyone want it? For the price of shipping and materials it is yours. I hope that is not the case of your case. Hope a couple days airing out helps. My case, room deodorizer and baking soda didn't work. good luck.

HA HA HA. My smelly case has been open outside and inside for a couple of years now. As soon as you close it. Ooh. It is such a nice case. Anyone want it? For the price of shipping and materials it is yours. I hope that is not the case of your case. Hope a couple days airing out helps. My case, room deodorizer and baking soda didn't work. good luck.

What brand of case is it?

Top Bottom