Question about Strings

janeinpa

Reaction score
I am new to the ukulele. I recently purchased a Lanikai Model SC. I think it came with their Lanikai Nylgut Ukulele Strings by Aquila.

1. Are these the same as Aquila strings I would buy and put on the ukulele or are they not as good?

2. I understand many people recommend Aquila strings. Are there different models of them? In other words, are there several choices of Aquila strings for a concert uke?

if it says Aquila strings they will be Aquila strings, Lanikai just use them on some of their ukes, they will be Aquilas, there are 2 types of Aquila string that will come with your type of uke, the bionylon and the nylgut, anyway heres a link to explain most types of string for you to keep and refer to http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39969-FYI-Uke-Strings

1. Are these the same as Aquila strings I would buy and put on the ukulele or are they not as good?
AFAIK there is no such thing like an "OEM version" of the Aquila strings with somewhat reduced quality - if you go and buy a new set of Aquilas you'll get exactly the same. Apart from the packaging of course, manufacturers buy bulk instead of single sets.

2. I understand many people recommend Aquila strings. Are there different models of them? In other words, are there several choices of Aquila strings for a concert uke?
Not too many different models really, it boils down to
- standard re-entrant (aka high G)
-- all strings unwound
-- wound C
- linear tuning (aka low G)
-- wound G-string
-- wound G and C strings
-- unwound low G ("red series")

And a few variations in string material - have a look at their webshop for all the different options.

Most common are Nylgut strings:
- standard set (high G, all unwound)
- wound low G set
- CEA standard strings combined with a red series low G

Thank you

Thank you both. That answers my questions (for now!)

Top Bottom