Can anyone help with this please.

harrylime

Reaction score
I am a novice progressing reasonably well on my Aria ACU-250 uke. As it is my desire to proceed to a Uke Banjo and play Formby style I am toying with the idea of buying one. I do not have much choice locally of suppliers where I can try one out but a little shop has just opened in my town. They have just one Uke Banjo which looks lovely and is on sale for £345. I went in today and played it and Wow!! compared to my little uke it felt and sounded so good. It was set up quite low and felt really easy to play. My problem is it's a "Richwood" and they seem to be guitar makers and makers of entry quality ukes. I can find little information on these and there is not even one on ebay by which I could compare price etc.I believe they are made in China. Thing is I could by an Ozark or other well known brand for similar money but could not test it first. Does anyone know about Richwood and what advise can anyone offer please. I am an old retired guy playing for pleasure by the way. Thanks.

If you have a local shop that could do a "setup" or minor repairs that perhaps you can't do, there are some amazing used banjo ukes/banjoleles on Ebay UK....many much nicer than the ones I see on our ebay. (the English may take better care of their "old things" I think.)

PS: I'm an old retired guy too, new to the Banjo uke.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=banjo+ukulele&_sacat=619

http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/details1.asp/ProductID/6676/sid/281/name - see comments below on this one:

I have this model, a concert size, branded under the Rally name. I live near the GoldTone factory and took it up the other day for some upgrades and a set up. turns out he designed it many years ago and it's "basically" a lower quality Gold Tone. It plays wonderfully and Gold Tone accessories will fit. Mine has a large resonator. I think this is the best uke you are going to get anywhere near this price unless you find a renovated vintage banjo uke at a great price...they do pop up from time to time. You can get a calfskin head for it, it has a brass tone ring, and Gold Tone has a cool no-Knot tailpeice I had to have for it also. With a set up, this thing will sound and play like it cost 3 times the price. Good luck, this is my recommedation to another old retired guy I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters mid 70's)

Phil :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom