Uke help?

maggiedulaney

Reaction score
I've narrowed my choice down to two ukes. The Kala KA-S and the Kala long neck soprano. Which would be better if I were to play modern song instrumentals and tutorials, and post them on YouTube? What's the difference between the long neck and the regular? Im wondering because I've heard people play on YouTube and have it be WAY too loud, or way too quiet. I was thinking about purchasing a clip on tuner, as well as some Aquila Nylgut strings. Any suggestions? Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the help!

Hi Maggie. The long neck is basically a concert size neck on a soprano body. You'll need concert string for that one. Clip on tuner is always nice. Snark makes one for the uke but most any will work. Changing strings on a new uke is alway a good idea. The one you get when you buy are usually lower end and have been subjected to the riggers of the shipping from china or where ever its made. Also, do try different brands of strings. Each will give your uke a different sound. Do as string search here and you'll see the different types that people like.

Have fun

Long neck sopranos have a concert sized neck. Soprano necks usually only have 12 frets and the long neck would give you about 18. So a long neck would be better for doing instrumental music. The two models should have the same volume since they have the same sized body. Keep in mind if you just got a concert you would have 18 frets it would be easier to find a case and you would get a deeper fuller tone because of the increased body size.

As far as strings go I would recommend d'addario nyletech strings. They sound almost exactly like aquillas but are tighter and therefore easier to pick.

With the longer scale length and string tension of the long neck, you should get a noticeably fuller sound. I'd go with the concert neck soprano.

I was thinking about purchasing a clip on tuner, as well as some Aquila Nylgut strings. Any suggestions?
You won't need new Aquilas as Kala comes with these already - you still might want to try other brands later (can highly recommend Living Water as linked below in my signature).
Clip on tuner should be no question at all; I'd recommend the Planet Waves mini Headstock tuner as it can simply stay on your headstock forever due to its small size. Buying one you could even support UU as it is available in the UU store right here ;) (On the shop page you can also find a quick review by Aldrine)

Top Bottom