Hawaiian ukulele with 1 3/4 nut size concert HELP

stevety

Reaction score
Hawaiian ukulele with 1 1/2 nut size concert HELP

Looking for good hawaiian concert ukulele with 1 1/2 nut is there anyone that makes them made mistake on first post meant to say 1 1/2 nut width

Last edited:
I doubt there are any that have a nut that wide. Kanile'a tends to be on the larger side, and theirs is 1.5" At least their production tenor is. Perhaps you can get a custom build with that width, but I don't think they do that normally.

A common mistake for most beginner uke players is thinking that a wider nut will make it easier to learn chords and fingering. It won't. If you are a beginner you need to practice until you can play the chords cleanly. It may seem impossible to do but thousands of people with larger hands than yours have learned. I don't know any luthier that is willing to put their name on a uke with a 1 3/4' wide nut ( that is even considered wide for a 6 string guitar). And for what it is worth, a 1 1/2" nut is too wide in my opinion.

A common mistake for most beginner uke players is thinking that a wider nut will make it easier to learn chords and fingering. It won't. If you are a beginner you need to practice until you can play the chords cleanly. It may seem impossible to do but thousands of people with larger hands than yours have learned. I don't know any luthier that is willing to put their name on a uke with a 1 3/4' wide nut ( that is even considered wide for a 6 string guitar). And for what it is worth, a 1 1/2" nut is too wide in my opinion.

Agreed on every point Duane. But what you bring up brings up a much more important issue as far as I'm concerned. String instruments tend to be traded like baseball cards. Interest wanes, money gets tight and they get sold. Yet, no matter how many times the instrument has changed hands, the builder's name will always be on it along with his/her reputation. Because of this I pass on unusual requests if it goes against my better judgement. I don't want to be around in a year when the uke with a 1 3/4" wide nut comes back to my shop for a trim. I consider all ideas from a customer but I'll nix those that are a bad idea IMO. Most players will have a hard time playing an uke with a nut width of over 1 1/2" Even 1 1/2" is too wide for some people. For me, acceptable widths are between 1 3/8" and 1 1/2" with 1 7/16" being my usual target. (Of course there are exceptions to every rule and some people may have special requirements.)
Then again, some people are in business to make money! Look around, I'm sure there are plenty of builders willing to accommodate you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom