Zoom Hn4

garyg

Reaction score
Greetings, anyone using this recorder and have any tricks that they'd like to share. I'll mainly be recording solo ukulele songs in which I sing. TIA, g2

I have a Zoom R8, which is, I know, a totally different thing, but their quality and their documentation is amazing. Not the answer you wanted, but I am just really sold on Zoom stuff!

Please let us know how the 4 sounds...I've been thinking about a portable recorder...

I'm not sure I know any tricks, but I did use my son's H4 for about a year. I used it mostly as a USB microphone and mixer with FX (reverb) to record my voice and uke directly into Audacity. I taped (with electrical tape) to my microphone stand boom so I could get it up closer to my mouth when recording at my desk. I know 23Skidoo also has one that he uses as pre-amp and FX mixer for his recordings and into his amp or PA for open mics.

Its a great unit. If you don't already have one, get a power supply for it, because it eats batteries for breakfast, as do many of these little devices.

Thanks Sweet, the H4n comes with a power supply so the battery chewing is good to know. I'll ask Bill directly about use. When you recorded directly into your computer how did you deal with computer noise (i.e. hard drive running, etc)? I've also heard very mixed reviews about using usb as a mic connection, some folks seem to think that a significant amount of sound is lost for a variety of reasons (low quality usb port, etc.) I suppose this is computer dependent. Not sure that I'll be using the mic for special effects but who knows. cheers, g2

I use H4n as a standalone recorder, so no mixer to accompany with. I copy the file to my laptop and remove the background noise mostly in Audacity.

One thing to note that you may need to find a proper distance when you are recording. Different setup(sit/standing, in room or out of door) require a little different distance.

Top Bottom