What is the finger placement for D7+5

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
This is a strange chord, but necessary for playing this song (If I Had You)
The entire second fret is barred, and and top and bottom strings of the third fret. Hu? My fingers don't bend that way.Is there an alternative that will produce the same sound? Thanks.

I had the same problem as the logical solution failed. But i had no problems after I switched my middle- and ringfinger.

Bar with the indexfinger, middlefinger on the a-string third fret and ringfinger on the g-string third fret.

The only strings you need to barre with your index fingers are the two middle ones - the C and the E strings. Use your middle finger to fret the G string on the 3rd fret and use your ring finger to fret the A string on the same fret.

I typically play the D7+5 by playing strings 3,2 second fret with my index finger, string 4 fret 3 with my middle finger and string 1 fret 3 with my ring finger.

Mike

As a standalone fingering I'd go for ukuhippo - but within the song it very much depends on the surrounding chords, esp. the preceeding one.
Where do you come from and where do you go?

Great, glad it worked out! :shaka:

I'm from just north of Boston Massachusetts, USA. As for "where do I go"? Not sure what you mean. If you mean where do I take lessons?? I do not. I am self taught, through books, internet, and youtube, and just ALOT of practice.

I'm from just north of Boston Massachusetts, USA. As for "where do I go"? Not sure what you mean. If you mean where do I take lessons?? I do not. I am self taught, through books, internet, and youtube, and just ALOT of practice.

Jaja! I think he means what are the chords before and after D7+5. That may change what the most comfortable fingering to use is.

:agree: wise words have been written many times already:
OldePhart said:
don't think of a song as a collection of chords, think of it as a collection of chord changes. You want to look the song over and decide in advance how you are going to handle each chord transition

This is a strange chord, but necessary for playing this song (If I Had You)
The entire second fret is barred, and and top and bottom strings of the third fret. Hu? My fingers don't bend that way.Is there an alternative that will produce the same sound? Thanks.

Omigosh, LOL, this is the song I've been working on this week :) I use the fingering as described by seeso. (I found it on some other website/songsheet thing; escapes me now).

Anyway, that's the fingering I use on my soprano.

On a concert, I can do that one - and I can also manage the entire second fret barred.

The only strings you need to barre with your index fingers are the two middle ones - the C and the E strings. Use your middle finger to fret the G string on the 3rd fret and use your ring finger to fret the A string on the same fret.

Its like shooting the "bird". Good note when there are hecklers in the audience!

Top Bottom