New uke

Ron

Reaction score
Surprise presenty today - Cook Islands uke.
cooky1.jpgcooky2.jpgcooky3.jpgcooky4.jpg

My freind Kaye has one which I have coveted. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...7178732.104865.353449294670992&type=3&theater
and my wife oreganised for her to pick one up on her last visit to Cook islands. Turned up as a complete surprise to me.
I like this one. It's quite plain and is well made - good intonation, neat work. It sounds great. Completely different from a standard uke, of course, but a lovely sound. I have played some Cooky ukes that sound quite dead and are far to heavy. This is light, bright and has quite a ring to it.
Chuffed.

Last edited:
Wow, very interesting! Congrats!

nice uke Ron, are you going to amp it for the band?

Cliff

I think we will look at that. I'm thinking one of those dot pickups inside the sound hole in the back. We'll experiment a bit. I have no skill in the Cook Island style of playing but it sounds great on some of our bluegrassy, country songs.

I have and he is! The chord patters aren't so hard but I have a hell of a job getting that quick time strum down!

WOW! that is one unusual instrument m8, congratulations

the chors and fingerings are exaxctly the same for the ukulele (hawaiian) and for the ukeke (tahitian)
start learning basic strummings, slowly increase new patterns, and you'll be playing nice in a few months

have fun

Top Bottom