Roy Smeck Vita uke -- case ideas

Just picked up a Roy Smeck Vita and not that I've got it I'm wondering where and what kind of hard case to buy for it. Do you buy a mandolin case or a pineapple case? Any suggestions? If you don't know what this uke looks like check out www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_vi..._vita-uke_ukulele/vintage/music___instruments
TIA, g2

Why do you want one of those ukes, Gary? Mine came with a case that looks a lot like a banjolele case. Ohana makes a reproduction. They may produce a case for it....and they do, available here:

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=20490

HaHaHa, I wanted one of those ukes because you told me that I needed one Howard <g>. Thanks for the pointer to the Ohana case. John, good call on the concert case. The width is right but unless it has a "hold down" strap the uke will shift up and down in the case. My Uke Crazy concert case would work fine because it has one of those straps, but then I'll probably buy the case Howard suggested. Thanks everyone, g2

HaHaHa, I wanted one of those ukes because you told me that I needed one Howard <g>. Thanks for the pointer to the Ohana case. John, good call on the concert case. The width is right but unless it has a "hold down" strap the uke will shift up and down in the case. My Uke Crazy concert case would work fine because it has one of those straps, but then I'll probably buy the case Howard suggested. Thanks everyone, g2

Look at the "Steady" cases - they are a "gig" bag w/adequate padding for most carrying purposes & a slight step down in protection from the Reunion Blues or Mono cases. I bet those would fit it as well & the all have a hold-down for the neck to lock them tight.

Congrats on the vita uke!
I got one with the original chipboard case.
It is maybe one of the best sopranos I ve ever heard.
Is that god!

I'm going to learn to play this on my Vita:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dce3y-HraGE&feature=related

If I can find the music, cheap.

Three morsals in the form of a pear - quite a title even for Satie. Go for Gymnopedies. Oh right, now I get it (wink, wink), yeah who would ever want a vita. Tone on this one is excellent btw, different from my other vintage ukes just as you said, very mellow and round sound. Very different. ciao baby, g

So, you got it! I mean the uke...well, and the joke. The tone on mine, and apparently Gaspar's, is pretty swell also. I've been playing mine a lot more since I twisted your arm. I almost forgot how much I like this ukulele. You have to tell me more, once you have some time to reflect. Are the cracks bad?

Satie's "Trois morceaux en forme de poire" is public domain. Never seen an uke arrangement, but if you want to tackle it yourself, here's one to get you started.

http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=18820

Would love to see what you can do with it on the uke! Please share if you do. :)

Thanks. I might just do that. I'll have to make some adjustments; the Vita has only 12 frets, and as written, the piece would require a few more than that.

I know that the Ohana's replica of the Vita uke fits in a regular Concert uke case.
Not sure whether the same would apply to the original

Congrats on getting a Vita! I am envious as it is the only vintage uke I have on my list which I have yet to add to my collection.

Congrats Gary on scoring a vintage Vita Uke....Ryan and me are still looking for one..ha ha yes How did you come across that site...I checked and they had a vintage soprano for 125..
looks good too....maybe Ryan is gonna see this a jump on it.. ha ha

Congrats Gary on scoring a vintage Vita Uke....Ryan and me are still looking for one..ha ha yes How did you come across that site...I checked and they had a vintage soprano for 125..
looks good too....maybe Ryan is gonna see this a jump on it.. ha ha

I'm on that "want a Vita-uke" list too. Right now its probably highest other than a Martin 3k for less than $1000!!

Thanks everyone, Howard and I are both vintage uke lovers and knowing my tastes he suggested that I buy one. So I really have him to thank. He told me that they come up on ebay about once a month so you might want to do an advanced search for Vita or Roy Smeck that will get you daily postings of those listings. Mine had a reasonable BIN price so I just pulled the trigger. I'm a lover of vintage Martins and as Howard told me these Vita's have a unique sounds. Mine has a top crack that has to be cleated before I really take it out and play it. The experts also say that Aquila's actually sound best on this uke so despite my dislike of those strings I'll give them a try. cheers,g2

Top Bottom