is willie wixom a good brand?

BIGDB

Reaction score
ive been emailing back and forth with him about some stuff and im wondering if thats a good brand. now i know for the price they are probably not as good as mya moe or dasilva which is what i was looking at but im only 14 and i could get one probably by the end of the year instead of a loooong time

this is a completely different subject but anyone who knows what purfing is can you please explain

thanks

Last edited:
I have a willie Wixom ukulele. It is nice. Very nice looking, perfect intonation. In my humble opinion his builds are a bit heavy. He is a very nice man.
Purfing? You know what binding is right? Purfing is a small line next to the binding. I am sure others could explain it better.

so purfing is the like abalone on top and you can have like koa on side and the abalone would be purfing?

so purfing is the like abalone on top and you can have like koa on side and the abalone would be purfing?

Yes, but the word is "purfLing" - it is the decorative strip on the face & sometimes back & headstock. Binding is the narrow strip around the sides of the body of the uke & sometimes the fretboard as well. While purfling is mostly cosmetic, Binding serves both a decorative purpose (contrasting wood or other patterned like the rope effect) but also protects the edge of the thin top & bottom plates.

And, yes, Mr. Wixom's ukes seem to be well built. There are several happy WaW owners on UU & several others who have ordered custom instruments from Mr. Wixom.

Purfling is any inlay edging next to the binding that can be either shell, contrasting woods, sand, stone, plastic etc.... some say it helps the flexibility of the soundboard if not overdone...
which improves substain and resonation...

Aloha BIGDB,
Wixom ukes are a good value for a Luthier built to your specs type of instrument. What I had paid for mine would have cost me several hundred dollars more from another builder.
Just look at Wixoms as the KPKs of the solid wood imported ukes, good value for the price...................BO..................

Aloha BIGDB,
Wixom ukes are a good value for a Luthier built to your specs type of instrument. What I had paid for mine would have cost me several hundred dollars more from another builder.
Just look at Wixoms as the KPKs of the solid wood imported ukes, good value for the price...................BO..................

yeah, i dont even deserve a $2000 DaSilva or something like that with my skill level

Aloha BIGDB,
Never say you don't deserve anything. It's all in your mind. A quality instrument will give you the extra incentive to get better. It will MAKE you give more to it than you normally would otherwise.
EVERYONE deserves what his/her heart desires. You may have to work harder to acheive it, but it will be that more special when you DO have it. What ever makes YOU HAPPY is okay, $30.00 Dolphin or a multi thousand dollar Devine.
Don't give up your dreams.
I'm 65 years young and enjoy everyone of my ukes and I'm only a so, so player. So what, I'm happy as it is.
Nuff said....................................BO.............................

I've got a whole bunch of ukes, I bought a rogue soprano for 24.99 and it is still my favorite uke..
When I though of upgrading, I thought I'd enjoy my new aquisations many times more, I have learned
it's not how much it costs, it what you like, and prefer in tone..and when you get better, you will enjoy any uke..
when using the term skin deep, asthetics does not make the sound, it comes from within...if you have
a nice expensive uke, but it just doesn't have the voice you prefer, it wont get played and just collect dust.
to me waste of money..even a budget uke you can set up to improve playability and comfort. as for what
you deserve, get the best within your budget..Happy Strummings

I don't mind "a little heavy"....a Willie Wixom uke it near the top of my list. I think they are elegant....they have their own style, and I want one with a slotted headstock, flamed maple sides and back, engleman spruce top, and ebony trim, binding, etc. etc. Pegheads, MiSi, mmmmmm. I'll call it "Jean Harlowe"....kind o an art deco look.

I don't mind "a little heavy"....a Willie Wixom uke it near the top of my list. I think they are elegant....they have their own style, and I want one with a slotted headstock, flamed maple sides and back, engleman spruce top, and ebony trim, binding, etc. etc. Pegheads, MiSi, mmmmmm. I'll call it "Jean Harlowe"....kind o an art deco look.

kinda like a Wixom version of this Collings Phil???
http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/UC3Artdeco172.html
he he...this was my dream uke for the longest time but could never afford it. One day I would love to own a Wixom too.

thanks for all the advice. i think im going to send him a deposit for his next build date and just get a custom one

Top Bottom