Percussive Playing - Is it safe for your Uke?

pebbleInDaPacific

Reaction score
I just wanted opinions or any shared experiences or information on playing your ukulele while tapping it. Not chunking, but actually I sometimes tap or knock on it lightly for a beat, and i've seen some videos where some people do it, but is it hurting my baby when I do it? yay or nay? some vid links would be nice too if anyone wants to share. :D

i do it all the time, but then again i dont have an expensive uke. i know jake does a lot of tapping on his uke.

I'd say that if you have an ukulele that's keeping you from playing the way that you want to play, get a different ukulele.

I just wanted opinions or any shared experiences or information on playing your ukulele while tapping it. Not chunking, but actually I sometimes tap or knock on it lightly for a beat, and i've seen some videos where some people do it, but is it hurting my baby when I do it? yay or nay? some vid links would be nice too if anyone wants to share. :D

I tap on, drum on, knock on and swat flies with my Kamaka. No problems.

This reminds me. Do a search in YouTube for "One Note Samba Ukulele". A lot of slapping and banging going on there.

I think it's all part of playing. Nothing wrong with tapping and it certainly wouldn't cause any harm/damage to the instrument. I tap on my 8 string and don't even realize it, especially when someone does an oli (chant) at the end of the mele.

Last edited:
Yeah I would'nt think it would harm your uke. I accidentally elbowed my uke while i was taking off my shirt and i hit it pretty hard and there were no marks what-so-ever. if you are really worrying about it try to look for a uke that has a little bit harder wood. do a search here on the forums to find out what wood type would suit you best, but to my knowledge, you should be fine tapping and such.

EDIT: wow I didnt realize that i was over 600 posts already. CHEEYA!

as long as you dont "hulk smash" :D tapping should be fine

I tap on, drum on, knock on and swat flies with my Kamaka. No problems.

LMAO!! :music:

all good though

u know how rock people are meant to like smash their guitars and make it go everywhere after concerts or sumthing??

i was pretending to do it to my uke, and i dropped it - smashed everywhere hit everything.

all gud :cool:

Whenever I worry that I might be a little too rough on an instrument, I look at this and rejoice in knowing that my playing style isn't THAT aggressive.

1353435231_5986c35b52_o.jpg

If your uke is really your sentimental baby,I wouldn't drum on it.Tapping is probably fine,but any amount of substantial banging might loosen your internal braces or make your wood more inclined to split,if it is a solid wood uke.If it is a laminate,I wouldn't be as worried about it.You will probably be inflicted with UAS pretty soon and will have a beater ukulele as well as ukes for any occasion.

Top Bottom