My Second Ukulele Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristopher10

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I have been building classical guitars for a while now and decided to try my hand at ukuleles. This is my 2nd uke and is quite a bit different from my first which was a very traditional design made with traditional woods (all solid Koa).

During the first build it occurred to me that this particular design was severely overbuilt and several modifications could be implemented to get a more lively and soulful tone. I used knowledge I gained from years of building concert classical guitars and adapted them to the 2nd ukulele with wonderful results.

The second uke has an amazing sound! It is very loud, but has a lot of depth and character. The tone is somewhat mellower than a "traditional" uke because of the cedar soundboard and it projects extremely well. It is very even note-to-note and from string-to-string and the tone stays strong going up the fingerboard. Lindsay Petsch from Maple Street Guitars said it is one of the best Ukes he has ever heard.

I have a 30 month wait list for my guitars, but do not have a build schedule yet for the Ukes. I am in the process of making my website with additional information about the instruments. A custom instrument can be as simple or as detailed as desired and can be constructed from many different types of wood.

Please contact me for further information
Kris Barnett
www.krisbarnettguitars.com
kristopher10@hotmail.com

Here are some pics of #2:

Attachments

• headstock.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 50
  • port angle.jpg
    port angle.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 61
  • back and sides.jpg
    back and sides.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 63
  • back full.jpg
    back full.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 68
  • front full angle.jpg
    front full angle.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
more pics:

Sorry, the uke is a little dusty:eek:

Also, I added an ebony cap that covers the tailpiece bolt.

Attachments

• elevated fingerboard.jpg
    elevated fingerboard.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 27
  • headstock back.jpg
    headstock back.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 30
  • rosette.jpg
    rosette.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 28
  • tailpiece.jpg
    tailpiece.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 48
  • back full oblique.jpg
    back full oblique.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Lovely :) would you mind sharing a video? Would be keen to hear what it sounds like.

Kris is one of the most innovative luthiers I know. I'm surprised with his guitar schedule that he's branching out like this. I'm sure he will bring some fresh perspectives to ukulele design, and our community will be fortunate for his participation.

I do owe him one, as he gave me some pointers with glue for laminating backs, and his armrests and tailpieces (as shown) have inspired some of our new designs.

I'd recommend jumping on this train before it leaves the station for a 30 month trip!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom