How to store banjo ukes?

redBee

Reaction score
Hi

I've just got a Firefly Banjo Uke.
The care instructions tells me to remove the bridge whenever I'm not playing it, however, because I remove it every time I finish playing it, the new strings are not stretching very fast and it gets out of tune whenever I play again.

How do you guys cope with this?
Do you remove the bridge everytime you are not playing yours?
Or just keep the bridge up with the strings stretched with normal tension, at least until the strings stretch?

Thanks

I have a goldtone and never take the bridge off. It stays in tune really well.

I don't play banjo uke but I do play banjo. I don't remove the bridge unless I am not going to play for a long time. You don't need to take the bridge off every time you stop playing. This dose not allow your strings to stretch and by doing this you are negatively affecting intonation. The bridge must be in the exact right place for intonation to be good. So unless you are a true professional you are most likely ruining intonation every time you put the bridge back on.

Ahhh.. That's what I suspected.
Well, at least they've marked the bridge position, so that it is easier for me to set it up again.
But as you mentioned, the strings are not stretching well.
I will keep the bridge on, from now on, unless I don't play it for a long period.

Thanks for the tip!

Hi

The recommendation note from Flea Market says that I should remove the bridge "when not playing and in storage", but maybe it meant just when not using it for a long period of time, as Yestyn mentioned.

Thanks

Yes, it is the "when in storage".

I've got a firefly. I leave it setup, and ready to go, in a high-end gig bag. (That says "Bean Sprout" on it - as if I could ever afford one!)

No issues in 18 months, but the longest I've gone without playing it is a couple of weeks.

-Kurt​

Hi

The recommendation note from Flea Market says that I should remove the bridge "when not playing and in storage", but maybe it meant just when not using it for a long period of time, as Yestyn mentioned.

Thanks

I have six BU's...and I store them all on the wall, with the bridges in. I think the warning is based on long term storage rather than setting it aside every now and then, and probably due to the fact that the bridge will eventually (conceivably), wreck the vellum. Not sure what the head is on a firefly (mine are for the most part skin heads), but I am fairly certain one was set up with the original bridge for nearly eighty years and the vellum is still fine. On a non adjustable head, they simply don't want it to stretch out on ya over a period of time and leave you with a limp sounding uke I am sure- leave the bridge in and play the heck out of it.

Thanks everyone!

I am less worried now.
Since I usually store it hanged on a wall, I will leave the bridge on it.

I've heard that you will get the best sound from a banjo or banjo uke if, after the first use you remove the head and cut it into strips, using them to carefully wrap the strings for storage...

I've heard that you will get the best sound from a banjo or banjo uke if, after the first use you remove the head and cut it into strips, using them to carefully wrap the strings for storage...

That's only if the Banjo Uke belongs to someone else, and you equate the "best sound" with ambulance sirens and IV drips. I think ukulele neck suppositories accompany the sounds...

-Kurt​

Top Bottom