New Martins: Zero-to-Hero?

Paul December

Reaction score
For the last few years I've read countless posts bashing Martin's new uke offerings. I read a couple good comments about the new S1 soprano and decided to take-a-chance.
Mine was new from eBay, and it was straight-out-of-the-box with no extra "set-up" by the seller. Good news, it is perfect. I considered getting the Ohana equivalent, but figured it was only $100 more for the "big name" :eek:
Now that it is in my hands, IMO you get a lot for that extra $100. Not only does it play and sound beautiful, it is perfect. This is the first uke I've ever gotten that does not have a single flaw, blemish, glue drip, or anything... even looks perfect inside!
I've also recently caught a couple good posts of their new Koa line.
It looks like Martin is taking ukes seriously again :)

Paul, when I read a "bashing" post I generally dismiss it as motivated by something other than objectivity unless supported by solid evidence - not mere opinion after strumming the instrument for a couple minutes in a big box store.. I own two Martin s-1's and both are nicely made with obvious care. The fretboard is especially comfortable for me rivaled in comfort only by my Brüko #6 - and yeah, I know the feel and shape of those two necks are worlds apart but I love them both. Martin s-1's are made with care as evidenced by the nice lines, handsome finish, and clean work on the interior. Whether or not they are worth the extra cost over an Ohana sk-38 or a Brüko #6 is a debate I'll not entertain but I am happy to own and play them. And how I came about owning two Martin s-1's ? Musicians Friend used to offer further discounts on their "used" instruments, so I picked up two for about the price of one. One I purchased with a crushed area in the upper bout turned out to be the favorite of the two after making a sound hole in the effected area. If you have not checked out Petey Houdini's reviews of the new Martins on youtube do so as Petey offers an interesting perspective on musical instruments.

i have a S1 and its my only uke and ive been very pleased it plays and sounds amazing i had a pick up put in and i love it its a very good uke and i think its pretty fair priced (could be a little lower)

Today I stopped at Guitar Center to take a look at their ukuleles. I walked out with a new Martin S1 uke and I couldn't be happier. The sound, intonation, and workmanship is impeccable. It's feather light and it's simplistic design makes for a very elegant instrument. The sound for a new instrument is excellent and it will only get better over time. That's why I believe many people continually scout for vintage Style O Martin ukuleles.

I also own a Ohana SK35. Yes, it's a great ukulele for the money, but I prefer the sound and playability of the Martin over the Ohana. I paid $350 (US) for the instrument and I believe it's worth every penny. I would easily venture to say, it would probably be worth far more than I paid for it 20 years from now.

People can say what they want about Martin Ukuleles. One thing for certain, they don't build junk.

Last edited:
I love my S1 and my C1K. Great ukes, especially for the money!

By chance I tried one S1 at my local Guitar Center and was actually impressed with the quality of the instrument. I have actually been considering getting their Koa Tenor; not a bad deal for the price.

I loved the S1 and the OXK when I had them in for review. I am glad to see that Martin is back in the ukulele market again. Took them long enough

Friend, I've had the S-1 and the discontinued S-O martin soprano last year, for 4 months, at the same time here in my hands. I put the same strings in both ukes (Aquilas), and the S-O has always sounded louder. The S-O looks a little ugly, but the extra-fretboard on the S-1 appears to kill 30% of the sound in conparision.

I have had my C1K for about 2 months now and still loving it. I am glad there have been a number of videos/you tube playing these new Martins. What did it for me was when I closed my eyes to listen to the Martin played against one of the three K's. It was hard to distinguish which make was playing. Both sounded wonderful. The C1K is my wonderful addition and I love feel of the uke in my hands and especially love the sound of this all koa instrument.

Top Bottom