NUD: Kala Solid Acacia Tenor - Love It!

frets alot

Reaction score
I've been doing my homework to purchase a solid wood tenor uke. I have a Kala Thinline Tenor which has a nice bright sound and is great for music festivals. I'm a chord/melody, fingerstyle player. So, I went to Elderly Instruments, my "candy store". I wanted to try ukes out before I bought. I would recommend that to anyone, because there is such a difference in sound, feel, workmanship, etc. I really liked Kala's solid mahogany, but it sounded too much like the thinline...I wanted a different sound. So, I tried many different ukes in varying price ranges. I won't mention what I tried, because I don't want to imply they weren't good ukes....they just didn't click with me. The Kala Solid Acacia met all my criteria (price, etc.) and had a nice warm tone. The Kala's have the feel that fit my hands wonderfully. That's why I'm glad I tried before I bought. I know there are better built ukes out there, but for the money, I thought it was a good uke to own. It's really fun to play, has the sound I was looking for, has spot-on intonation up the fretboard, and has great looks. It found its way into a nice new case, came with a new set of strings, and was on its way home with me to Northern MI. I'm really happy with my new uke....it will make a great addition to my other instruments. I have to find a cure for this Acoustic Aquisition Disease that I have! :rolleyes:

View attachment 41207View attachment 41208View attachment 41209View attachment 41210View attachment 41211

Last edited:
Beautiful addition to your collection. I love the woodgrain. Hope the two of you make much beautiful music together.

Congrats

I think that you can find absolute happiness with a uke in any price range if it "clicks" with you as you have said...I've been lucky enough to own some high end stuff, but I often reach for my Kala laminated exotic mahogany that cost less than the cases did on some of the more expensive ukes I've owned....! Have fun!!

I have one of these ukes and have to say that you have made a great choice.
Enjoy!!
Cheers
Gary

The concert version was my first ukulele. Great choice, frets alot! You have hours of happiness ahead of you. :)

Congratulations! This model was the first tenor uke I owned. (I purchased mine from MGM a few years ago, when he was on eBay, and it's now on loan to a work colleague's son, who recently became enamored of all things ukulele.) It's a great choice, with, as you indicated, a slightly richer and more mellow tone than Kala's solid mahogany ukes. I hope you're as happy with yours as I've been with mine! Happy strumming!

Top Bottom