FS: Willie A. Wixom Custom Concert #121

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukuraleigh

Reaction score
I've gone back and forth on whether I truly want to sell the one ukulele that I custom designed, but it's time for me to set free my W.A. Wixom concert uke.

You can view photos and details here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...5115-New-Uke-Day!-Willie-Wixom-Custom-Concert

Sound sample: http://soundcloud.com/andy-beal/w-a-wixom-concert-ukuraleigh

The reason I am selling? Let me be totally honest:

1. I'm just not playing her. I think I'm more of a soprano guy after all.
  2. She's a tad heavy (might just be cos she's a concert with lots of bling).
  3. She's a little too bright for me. (I knew she would be bright--which is what I wanted--but I'm more drawn to the warm tones of mahogany).

Otherwise I'd keep her, because she truly is a one-of-a-kind. Still, there are a lot of folks dreaming of a Wixom, and I know the waiting list is getting looong. So, thought someone might want to give her a better home.

I'm asking $950, plus $30 towards the cost of shipping. I'll ship anywhere in the CONUS. She's in the exact same condition as when she arrived. I've played her so little that the strings are still stretching! Hard shell case included.

Price Drop: $875, plus shipping!!

PM me if interested.

Last edited:
I think it would be good to put a sound sample as $980 is a very competitive market. Good luck with your sale!!

Sounds lovely. It's nice to be able to compare the Wixom and the Pono on that same sound page. Both give great sound.

At the request of NatalieS I am uploading a pic of a full length shot.

wixom.jpg

BTW, NatalieS, your inbox is full, so I could not reply to your questions, but others may wish to see the answers, so I am just going to post here:

I guess volume is subjective. For comparison, I have a Mele soprano that I would rate as a 5/10 for volume. A KoAloha super soprano which I would rate as 10/10. That puts the Wixom at around the 7.5/10 mark. Not too quiet but not too loud either. Fortunately, it has the awesome MiSi pickup, so you can turn it up to 11/10 ;)

The current strings are Koolau Mahana. That seems to be the best balance between playability, loudness and warmth. The Wixom is a little bright simply because of the wood selection, however it's still a fuller tone than any of my sopranos.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 134
It's a very nice looking ukulele. I have a Wixom - a koa tenor I bought "off the rack" - and while it's a little heavier than my other ukes, it's responsive and resonant, and it has a nice warm sound. I imagine that all of Wixom's ukuleles sound great, even one with brighter tonewoods. Good luck with your sale!

It's a very nice looking ukulele. I have a Wixom - a koa tenor I bought "off the rack" - and while it's a little heavier than my other ukes, it's responsive and resonant, and it has a nice warm sound. I imagine that all of Wixom's ukuleles sound great, even one with brighter tonewoods. Good luck with your sale!

Thanks! She's a work of art, I'm just not playing her much.

Bloody hell, that looks gorgeous.

Any pics of the funny finish and separated binding? I know you say it's not much but I'd like to have a look.

How much would shipping be the UK?

Bloody hell, that looks gorgeous.

Any pics of the funny finish and separated binding? I know you say it's not much but I'd like to have a look.

How much would shipping be the UK?

I'll send you some close ups. Not sure what the shipping would be, but it I'd estimate $150 to $200 with insurance.

For byjimini and anyone else concerned about the finish. Here are a couple of photos trying to show the slight issues. They are so hard to capture, hence the arrows to point them out. :)

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom