Which key?

harrylime

Reaction score
I have been learning to play my uke tuned G C E A. I am wanting to play Formby style and plan to get a Ukulele Banjo but it appears from a few articles I read that Uke Banjo sounds better tuned A D F#B. Does this mean my practice of chords has been wasted. Can anyone advise as to whether I should tune my uke banjo ADF#B or, as I am more familiar with chord shapes in GCEA should I stick to that tuning.

Same chord shapes, just 2 steps higher. So a "G" would be an "A". A "C" would be a "D" etc

Same chord shapes, just 2 steps higher. So a "G" would be an "A". A "C" would be a "D" etc
Thankyou so much. I am really new to this and never realised the two tunings sounded the same i.e. "My cat has fleas!" I have just experimented and realise now how the chord shapes stay the same but just higher. I understand it now.:eek:

In the beginning I had issues in playing anything outside the Key of G/guitar tuning. However, slowly I have to evolve and simply realize that it is the same at the end. You technically use the same fingering the only thing that changes is the key; for example, in the Key of C the third fret-first string is a C Major, in the Key of G the same fingering becomes a G Major, and the same occurs in the Key of D, i.e., D Major.

Therefore, have fun learning how to play in each key, it is fun.

And to add a bit of theory: Mind the difference between a chord and a chord shape.

A chord is a musical term for a group of notes being played together - this does not change, regardless of the instrument/tuning it is played on. A C chord is always built from the same notes.

The actual chord shape is where you put your fingers to get that specific chord, this differs between instruments and tunings as said above. E.g. 0003 is the chord shape (or fingering) for a C chord in GCEA tuning; in ADF#B tuning the fingering for C is 3211.

ADF#B chord shapes (.pdf) and GCEA chord shapes (.pdf) by the famous Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
Or check one of the many online versions, e.g. this one.

Sorry to ask for further help here but I do want to do the right thing. SO DO I JUST practice with an instrument set to one tuning (say GCEA) and get used to those chords before progressing to any differently tuned instrument as the true shapes for each chord are different when played on differently tuned instruments. My feeling is I would be taking too much on in trying to play instruments that are tuned differently as a beginner? :confused:

short answer: yes. Stick to the same tuning (usually GCEA) in the beginning and practice the chord shapes to get them in your "muscle memory".

Long answer: as long as you play on your own, it doesn't really matter. You could use the same chord shapes on both tunings and songs will still sound ok. Just bear in mind that your GCEA shapes make a song sound a full tone higher.

short answer: yes. Stick to the same tuning (usually GCEA) in the beginning and practice the chord shapes to get them in your "muscle memory".

Long answer: as long as you play on your own, it doesn't really matter. You could use the same chord shapes on both tunings and songs will still sound ok. Just bear in mind that your GCEA shapes make a song sound a full tone higher.
Thank you so much. Muscle memory it is then for a while yet. So grateful for your help.

Top Bottom