External pick up or undersaddle?

blue_c94

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently decided to get the islander mt-4, but i have one final concern. I want to play live eventually and record myself playing, and I was wondering is the external pickup by dean markley good enough to record and play live?

Reasons I'm having a hard time deciding: The passive pickup will cost $100 extra vs. $30 external pickup; The passive pickup will affect the acoustic sound of the islander; The passive undersaddle will sound better then the external; I have a school concert coming up soon and wondering which one will sound better; Finally, what if i regret my choice for the undersadle, at least the external i can just take it of and possibly return it, the undersaddle ill have to live with.

Thanks,
Blue

An undersaddle pickup is definitely the one that is predominantly used, for obvious reasons.
It produces a better output than other types, as it's getting the vibrations from directly under the saddle (where most of the vibration is).
And you generally get less noise (such as your hands thudding against the uke) with undersaddles.

As for an undersaddle pickup affecting tone - this really is not a significant concern.
A well installed pickup won't affect the tone to any noticeable degree. But if it does concern you, I daresay that a stick-on external pickup will probably affect the tone of the instrument more, since you're sticking something onto the soundboard itself.

Personally, I prefer undersaddle pickups above all the other types.
Once installed, it's clean, it's permanent, it's convenient and you won't even notice that it's there til you actually need to plug it in.
As a long term selection, I would always be glad I went with undersaddle.

Last edited:
This pickup is both inexpensive and sounds great. I swear by them. just glue it to the underside of your ukes soundboard, it wont change the sound of your uke at all.

I too recommend these pick up's highly and have them fittted to both my baritone and soprano ukes and can confirm that
they will not affect the the acoustic tone of your instrument. Don't be put off by the low price point these are high quality
pick ups that are real easy to install.
cheers
Gary

I too recommend these pick up's highly and have them fittted to both my baritone and soprano ukes and can confirm that
they will not affect the the acoustic tone of your instrument. Don't be put off by the low price point these are high quality
pick ups that are real easy to install.
cheers

Was consisdering a K&K twin spot, but at $20 less, may have to consider these.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I looked up the jjb pick up and I think I'll go with the standard, and i was also thinking of trying out the external from jjb as well. Does anyone have any experience with the external pickup from jjb?

Thanks,
Blue

JJB pickups are Great!

Just order an inexpensive endpin jack because the one they send is too, short to install in the end of the Uke body.

Websites show a lot. One link in this thread shows a website with a jack installed in the side of the instrument with no additional bracing.

Then again, only builders would notice a small detail like that.

Aaron

Sorry for a late reply, but i have a couple more questions concerning the pps-100.

Would it be better to get the endpin upgrade (how would i solder that)?
Also has anyone seen a video of the pps-100 without the endpin upgrade on the ukulele? Which would be the better and smarter choice endpin or the standard it comes with?

Thanks!

Sorry for a late reply, but i have a couple more questions concerning the pps-100.

Would it be better to get the endpin upgrade (how would i solder that)?
Also has anyone seen a video of the pps-100 without the endpin upgrade on the ukulele? Which would be the better and smarter choice endpin or the standard it comes with?

Thanks!

The endpin jack is the way to go, you do not want to drill a hole in the side of your instrument. Another option is the K&K Big Shot internal, which comes with the endpin jack already soldered and ready to go. It is still very inexpensive (around $33 on ebay). I have K&K's on my ukuleles and they are great.

Jimmy

Top Bottom