dyeing tuning machine buttons

D

dhoenisch

I know this was discussed here a while ago, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it. I am making a custom uke for my mom, using purpleheart for the fingerboard, bridge and headstock overlay. I would like to also give her purple tuning machine buttons. I can't find any I like online, either the purple isn't right, or I just don't like the shape, so I was thinking about dyeing some I currently have. Does anyone know how I can dye these white StewMac buttons purple? Or better yet, does anyone know where I can purchase some already made of purpleheart?

Thanks,
Dan

I have no idea what material the StewMac buttons are made of, but I would like to suggest "vinyl paint" or "vinyl dye". It's sort of halfway between dye and paint and used mainly to change the color of car interiors (but also used for jazzing up computer cases, like this http://case-mods.linear1.org/superman-case-mod/).

It bonds with plastic on a deep level, maybe not a true dye, but a far deeper bond than paint.

Look for posts by user TudorP on the subject - he had a method that worked for him if you're looking to "age" the buttons.

PS: About a year or more ago that he posted on this, I think.

Look for posts by user TudorP on the subject - he had a method that worked for him if you're looking to "age" the buttons.

PS: About a year or more ago that he posted on this, I think.

That's the thread I was looking for, but none of my searching revealed that thread.

I'll look into that vinyl stuff. Thanks.

Dan

If you're making the uke, why not make the buttons yourself?

Here's a link for you http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3203.

I think it will be tough to change the color of the plastic with a coating that will wear well.

Alternatively, you could purchase a light timber set, maple maybe, and dye the timber to match the purpleheart. Plenty of timber tuning buttons around, although none in purpleheart it would seem.

Cheers
Darren

Top Bottom