Gotoh M6 Tuners

ST31 looks particularly sexeh!

ST31-4-581x326.jpg

Ya I looked at those I like how they look just not my style. I wish I could just buy Waverleys and be done with it. I like the more traditional as well.

RyRod on UU had some pretty significant issues with the mini Gotohs on his Talsma. Changing them to a full size tuner for slot heads was a pretty significant undertaking. It came out nice but Dave Talsma had to put quite a bit of work into. Ryan's a nice guy. Send him a message if you're curious.

My supplier in Australia said that they had far too many warranty issues to want to carry them anymore. Too fragile in the post and the gearing was what I gathered from what they were willing to divulge.

RyRod on UU had some pretty significant issues with the mini Gotohs on his Talsma. Changing them to a full size tuner for slot heads was a pretty significant undertaking. It came out nice but Dave Talsma had to put quite a bit of work into. Ryan's a nice guy. Send him a message if you're curious.

Here's the thread where Ryan talked about it...

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?61497-In-need-of-your-luthier-s-opinion-wisdom

And here's the thread where Ryan shows what Dave did to fix the issue...

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?64935-Talsma-Walnut-Cedar-Tenor-after-1-1-2-years!

I am about to do a quick writeup on the Gotoh UK700 tuners. They have an adjustable height post. very light and I think they look nice to boot
http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_product=uk700
also as a side note: The american supplier for Gotoh is Scott Ando 1-888-274-4286 Domointl@gmail.com

Jerry at Boat Paddle is building a custom ML style for me now and suggested these tuners as an upgrade because of the adjustable post heights. But I opted to go with the Waverlys. Also the Gotohs come with black plastic buttons where the Waverlys come with ebony.

I trust you builders all know how much you have to figure the markup being from cost to retail. If you're not tripling cost to determine the effect on retail, you're losing money or you're treating such costs as a loss leader. Some of these tuners cost as much as the cost of all of the other parts of a uke combined. I'm not suggesting that you not use good parts, just that you factor these costs in. Just saying...and speaking as a builder who often sells to dealers.

Triple, Rick? The Old Rule was to double. At one time I used cost, just to move an occasional instrument. But I like the triple rule. Better to go down from asking too much than to go broke by moving a bunch of instruments but asking too little. I like to play fair, but people don't deserve our stuff if they aren't willing to let us make a living. They can just as easily play Plywood Wonders.

This....
(except the nice guy part; I'm like Oscar the grouch)
My supplier in Australia said that they had far too many warranty issues to want to carry them anymore. Too fragile in the post and the gearing was what I gathered from what they were willing to divulge.

exactly what happened to me...

Here's the thread where Ryan talked about it...

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...1497-In-need-of-your-luthier-s-opinion-wisdom

And here's the thread where Ryan shows what Dave did to fix the issue...

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...-Talsma-Walnut-Cedar-Tenor-after-1-1-2-years!

Thanks, Chris

They kept the strings in tune quite nicely but their fragility was their downfall.

However, the og post is about the M6. I don't have any input on them. I just wanted to make sure nobody wastes their money on the steaths.

Last edited:
I know which cartoon character RyRod is considered to be but it isn't Oscar..... ;-) Mums the word Ryan.

JC, double if you're the retailer, then you can discount a bit. But if you're a "manufacturer" selling to retailers, you'd better get real. You can't charge parts out to a store for what you pay for them...because it's what the stores can get the parts for. For instance, if as a really small time builder, I choose to use expensive tuners, I have to charge more to my bill of materials + markup than a store can buy those same tuners for. And don't forget shipping costs AND the cost of carrying parts in inventory.

Let's get real about business here, folks, OR let's separate the professional luthiers' corner from the hobby builders who seem to be able to lose money without knowing it or caring about it.

BTW, because of the volume I do in parts from some suppliers, I often pay less than 50% off of retail for things like tuners...but not for PegHeds or Waverlys. Typical OEM costs can be 15% to 20% lower than normal retail/wholesale for Gotoh & equivalent. But you have to be doing volume to get those prices.

I get the sense that a lot of participants here are not doing very careful cost accounting nor are they doing Bills of Materials...easy enough to do in spreadsheet format. I think a lot of folks do not want to really confront what the costs are because they know that they could make more an hour flipping burgers at McDonald's or pulling cappuccinos at Starbucks...

If you are a pro, you simply must mark up the parts you use AND include the costs of getting the parts to your shop. Or be ready to close up shop in a few years and depend on the kindness of significant others...

And, by the way, if you're any good at this game, you should be making an hourly wage equivalent to a good auto mechanic if you be da boss...

If you are a pro, you simply must mark up the parts you use AND include the costs of getting the parts to your shop. Or be ready to close up shop in a few years and depend on the kindness of significant others...

The time it takes to research and order parts should be considered too, IMO. I spend a fair amount of time just trying to find the specialty parts and tools that it takes to do my job.
As far as the kindness of significant others....that's why cowboys have wives with good jobs in town!!

Top Bottom