PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do With This Maccaferri Islander? - Two Issues

AnalogJ
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I won an auction on EBay for a standard Maccaferri Islander. It came with the original peg loosening/tightening key, the self-teaching guide and the welcoming brochure.

In any event, I noticed 2 things after its arrival today - one minor, the other probably more important.

1) While the neck looks straight, the area in front of the bridge seems buckled in a bit, leaving the bridge tilted. The result is that the action isn't completely even down the board. As it is, I'd say that the action at the 12th fret is probably not higher than 1/8" or so.

2) More importantly, there is a buzzing, particularly with certain notes being played. I started with retightening the tuning pegs (original metal screws, which have a little bit of surface rust). That didn't do anything.

I then turned the ukulele over and started rapping the back. I noticed that I was hearing buzzing, like a snare drum type sound if I tapped on one side of the back of the ukulele. I didn't notice an obvious looseness or separation anywhere. But upon second inspection, I noticed a very slight separation between the soundboard and the back about 2" or so down from the Styron sticker. When I hold the top down against the side there, the buzzing disappears.

I'm not an expert here, but can I assume that the slight rising of the action and the bit of buckling in front of the bridge is not the biggest deal?

But with regard to the separation, should I attempt, with the seller's permission (the seller has a 14 day money back, buyer paying shipping return policy), to reglue the side to the soundboard?

And what sort of glue would be best to use if I attempt it?

OR, should I just return the thing? If I get a good sounding, working Islander out of it, I would think it was worth the $66 I paid, including shipping. :confused:

nscafe
08-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I picked up an Islander at a flea market a while back, and there was significant separation along both sides of the neck/fretboard. I used a little super glue and it's been holding and playable for months now with no signs of any new separating or cracking. I've also noticed a slight amount of buckling between the bridge and soundhole on mine. This has not seemed to cause any playability issues, and does not seem to be getting any worse.

Good luck with yours!