Fretboard Oil Alternitaves.

I would avoid vegetable oil, etc. Lemon oil works well.

I've recently (last two years) started using wax (Renaissance Wax) on my fretboards instead of oil. I would still use lemon oil for badly dried-out fretboards but ones that are in good shape seem to stay that way for a long time when I wax with Ren wax.

John

I would avoid lemon oil unless you can be sure it's real oil. Most of the shop stuff is synthetic and just scented with lemon.

I use bore oil - a mineral oil used by woodwind players for clarinets etc for years. If its good enough for a classical orchestra.... Oh, and you need it sparingly. I can go years between applications. Do not over use or risk the consequences

Well, I just tried sunflower oil. It worked great. No smell! Now I beleive you show avoid vegetable based oils and stick to seed based oil. So as said before, linseed oil, lemon seed oil, sesame seed oil, or any seed oil will work great. But avoid vegetable based oils because they can spoil.

Also, if you have a matte finish on your uke, just rub in some sunflower oil, it adds some extra sheen.

Top Bottom