PDA

View Full Version : San Diego

SailingUke
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Anyone planning on attending the 2013 festival?
Looks like a few good performers. No workshops or prices published yet.
Last years highlight was James Hill and Jake, but the organization was less than good, hopefully they got some of the bugs worked out.

BJ1s
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Where c#n I get derails about this? When, where, etc.

BJ1s
08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry about typo's.

itsme
08-06-2012, 01:05 PM
http://www.sandiegoukefestival.com/

Come enjoy the 2012 San Diego Ukulele Festival on Saturday October 13th and Sunday October 14th. Located at the Port Pavilion on the Broadway Pier in downtown San Diego. We will have a variety of vendors, ukulele musicians and workshops!

ricdoug
08-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I'll be working there as a volunteer. The lineup of ukulele stars unfolds daily http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-San-Diego-Ukulele-Festival/111733668912024

I've heard rumors from close friends that there's more top ukulele artists coming up. I'm expecting this year's attendance to topple last year which was overwhelming! Ric

Mission Guitars
08-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Hoping to be there as it's only down the street from me... :)

SailingUke
08-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Looks like they are using "Kickstarter" funding.
Does this mean if they don't sell enough tickets, they will cancel?
I guess I won't be making travel arrangements for the festival.
Must be for locals only.

Howie1947
08-22-2012, 10:36 AM
I hope you are right, as I thought last years event was horrible.

janeray1940
08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
I enjoyed the event last year and was happy to have had the chance to see James Hill play. This year I doubt that I will go - there isn't anybody in the lineup so far that makes the drive from Santa Monica seem worthwhile.

gyosh
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I enjoyed the event last year and was happy to have had the chance to see James Hill play. This year I doubt that I will go - there isn't anybody in the lineup so far that makes the drive from Santa Monica seem worthwhile.

Wow! Aldrine, Taimane Gardner, Mitch Chang, Derick Sebastian, The Kalama Bros and Brittni Paiva (as well as others; these are the performers I've seen live) and there's no one in the line up worth the drive from Santa Monica? I'm considering driving down from San Jose!!!

janeray1940
08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Wow! Aldrine, Taimane Gardner, Mitch Chang, Derick Sebastian, The Kalama Bros and Brittni Paiva (as well as others; these are the performers I've seen live) and there's no one in the line up worth the drive from Santa Monica? I'm considering driving down from San Jose!!!

Nothing against the performers - it's me! I don't enjoy travel so it takes A LOT to get me to leave home.

Seriously, I'd consider it for Herb Ohta Sr., Kenji Kondo, Tomotaka Matsui, and maybe Greg Hawkes. Or something like UOGB (who I am actually venturing to Santa Barbara to see next year) or the Wellington orchestra. Most of the players I admire the most are no longer among the living, sadly. I'm old! :)

SailingUke
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Nothing against the performers - it's me! I don't enjoy travel so it takes A LOT to get me to leave home.

Seriously, I'd consider it for Herb Ohta Sr., Kenji Kondo, Tomotaka Matsui, and maybe Greg Hawkes. Or something like UOGB (who I am actually venturing to Santa Barbara to see next year) or the Wellington orchestra. Most of the players I admire the most are no longer among the living, sadly. I'm old! :)

You are hardly old !, but I concur about the trip to SD. James was awesome last year, he was the only reason I was considering this year when they first announced him.
When they moved the festival to the same weekend as his BC event I knew I wouldn't make the trip.

ricdoug
09-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Ditto! I've already purchased my tickets for both days! Along with that I'll be there as a working volunteer. I wish Janeray the best. The workshops are going to be fantastic! Ric

mds725
09-03-2012, 09:44 PM
It's the same weekend this year as the Maui Ukulele Festival. One of these years I'd like to get to the SD Festival. I used to live there and I keep looking for reasons to go back and visit.