"Fall Of The Star High School Running Back"

H

Hippie Dribble

2001. John Darnielle. (The Mountain Goats).

every Mountain Goats record blows my mind. John Darnielle is one of the more interesting, intense and brilliant songwriters I've ever come across. This song popped into my head this morning for some reason so I took a shot at it. It's from their 2001 record 'All Hail West Texas'. Cheers for watching folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv7hIcuocHM

nice one jon! sad, but nicely played!

hey thanks brother, appreciate it Dave. Yeah, this guy is the king of turning desperate situations into catchy, raw and sweet melodies. One of the wordiest writers I know of (Darren Hanlon is another) but gee does he know how to turn a few very simple chords into the most amazing songs. They can make you laugh, cry, dance and cut you to the quick. Huge Mountain Goats fan here mate...

A driving rhythm and a moral filled fable worthy of Aesop.

Thanks.

Nice Job Bruddah Eugene...loved your singing and strumming...you put the song together real nice ....love those personal experience songs. He should named the song Bad Decision..
Now for Bad Bad Leroy Brown....Jim Croce.... if you don't mind I put in requests... tee hee hee

Last edited:
Nice Job Eugene...loved your singing and strumming...you put the song together real nice ....love those personal experience songs. He should named the song Bad Decision..
Now for Bad Bad Leroy Brown....Jim Croce.... if you don't mind I put in requests... tee hee hee

aaah many thanks Bruddah o mine. Yeah, I agree, there's something about songs written around true stories no doubt, they hit hard. Requests...YEAH!!! Stay tuned mate, I got Jim Croce's "Time In A Bottle" on the books at the moment...hopefully record it in the next week or two. Cheers for the nice comment Stan. :)

William Standaforth Donahue
Your grandfather rode the boat
Over from Ireland, but
You made a bad decision or two.
Brilliant Jon. Where we going with this...so good

thanks a lot Bill, Dave and Phil for watching. Bit of a left-field tune but that's The Mountain Goats for ya. Here's a link to a forum chat about the meaning of the song
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858533636/
his songs have some of the cleverest turns of phrase clothed in the sweetest poetic language I've ever heard. Not this song particularly, but many, many others. well worth checking out if you handle the drama and confronting aspects of his writing.

Top Bottom