Calling all vintage Martin experts...

OldePhart

Reaction score
Okay...not a huge "vintage" guy but I do have my eye on what looks like it might be a pre-1927 Style-0 but the body is only a hair over 9 inches long and all the spec's I've seen on these indicate that the body was 9-7/16" This one is at least 3/8" shorter than that. Everything else seems to match up.

So, what's the skinny - was there some variation in body size?

John

Well, I am far from a Martin expert, but I understand that the body size was very consistent, except for a small variation on the body shape when Martin built for another company.....was it perhaps Ditson....I can't remember. Anyway, those had a very slight difference in the waist, I believe it was a bit wider, but that was about it.

I know that isn't much help but thought I would throw out what I know. I am interested to see a picture of what you have found if you can share one.

Edit: Just found one of the Ditson/Martin ukuleles with the slightly different shape.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uketeecee/6992444263/

Last edited:
Where are you measuring the body? When I measure my Martins on the top, from the 12th fret to the tail is 9-3/16". If I measure the back, it's 9-7/16". That would account for most of the difference you are writing about. Mine are both older and newer than the one you are asking about and mine are all the same, give or take 1/16".

The eye you have on the Martin, John, is it your good eye? The one you measure with? At my age, I know, I have to be careful.
How, about the ruler? If you use an official vintage Martin ruler, the ukuleles are more consistent in length.

Well, I am far from a Martin expert, but I understand that the body size was very consistent, except for a small variation on the body shape when Martin built for another company.....was it perhaps Ditson....I can't remember. Anyway, those had a very slight difference in the waist, I believe it was a bit wider, but that was about it.

I know that isn't much help but thought I would throw out what I know. I am interested to see a picture of what you have found if you can share one.

Edit: Just found one of the Ditson/Martin ukuleles with the slightly different shape.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uketeecee/6992444263/

Martin made ukuleles for a few other retailers. They made their standard ukuleles for Ditson as well as for other companies, but also made a dreadnaught style only for Ditson. Have a gander at this honey:

http://www.mandoweb.com/Instruments/Oliver+Ditson-Style+5K+ukulele-1923/2021

Stan, remember to breathe!

Martin made ukuleles for a few other retailers. They made their standard ukuleles for Ditson as well as for other companies, but also made a dreadnaught style only for Ditson. Have a gander at this honey:

http://www.mandoweb.com/Instruments/Oliver+Ditson-Style+5K+ukulele-1923/2021

Stan, remember to breathe!

Aloha Howie,
Wow that is a nice 1920's martin 5k drooling....here is mine in almost new condition, about same year....tee hee hee
mm stan said:
MartinUkes41812166.jpg

Last edited:
Okay...not a huge "vintage" guy but I do have my eye on what looks like it might be a pre-1927 Style-0 but the body is only a hair over 9 inches long and all the spec's I've seen on these indicate that the body was 9-7/16" This one is at least 3/8" shorter than that. Everything else seems to match up.

So, what's the skinny - was there some variation in body size?

John
Could you have scored a prototype and got lucky John???? not sure what or why for the size discrepancy....

Me want, me want very much, i'll swap you for a used wife, no returns :)
Ha Ha Webby,
Hope the wifey is not near your computer ha ha LOL...yeah these prices are getting ridiculous really....
the only reason I got this one because it is in very mint condition...no nothing and the original frets look
brand spanking new...no wear anywhere.... I do however love the gold shell...and it is sweet as ever..
actually it looks like it was bought and strummed a few times and never used again..... if you come to hawaii
I will let you play it...MM Stan back to our regular thread...LOL don't wanna hijack my friend John's thread...

Last edited:
Where are you measuring the body? When I measure my Martins on the top, from the 12th fret to the tail is 9-3/16". If I measure the back, it's 9-7/16". That would account for most of the difference you are writing about. Mine are both older and newer than the one you are asking about and mine are all the same, give or take 1/16".

The eye you have on the Martin, John, is it your good eye? The one you measure with? At my age, I know, I have to be careful.
How, about the ruler? If you use an official vintage Martin ruler, the ukuleles are more consistent in length.

This is measured on the back, from the edge of the body at the heel to the edge of the body at the neck join (i.e. not including the heel of the neck).

John, can you post a link or a picture? I have a 0 from that period and it measures ~9 3/8th . No reason to think that there's a problem with it (stamp on rear of headstock, 20's tuners, stamp in body, kerfing, bar frets, etc.). I always watch vintage Martins on Ebay, this has no cracks and is in very good condition (some finish wear on the lower bout and some wear to the string slots) and I paid $486 for it if that's any help. Let us know. cheers, g2

Aloha Howie,
Wow that is a nice 1920's martin 5k drooling....here is mine in almost new condition, about same year....tee hee hee

WOWSERS !!!!! that is one seriously gorgeous uke Stan :iwant:
Good luck with the uke John, avintage Martin is my dream uke,(Hopefully ) one day i get to own one, keep us posted if you do purchase :)

Well...I was going to keep it all mysterious and secret and stuff in the hopes of not driving the bids up. But...yesterday my AC decided to blow its stack and getting that fixed took most of the money I would have had for this

John, can you post a link or a picture? I have a 0 from that period and it measures ~9 3/8th . No reason to think that there's a problem with it (stamp on rear of headstock, 20's tuners, stamp in body, kerfing, bar frets, etc.). I always watch vintage Martins on Ebay, this has no cracks and is in very good condition (some finish wear on the lower bout and some wear to the string slots) and I paid $486 for it if that's any help. Let us know. cheers, g2

Aloha John,
Yes it is a nice early martin...and it looks like it has not been cared for or play with for a long time....it's really hard to tell the sound of these old vintage martins..
You know now it is just above 325.00 on the ebay bidding..about the last hour on these, you get all these dealers jump in an really escalate the prices, one thing I
hate with Ebay...Darn Dealers...I check and some have like over 10 bids going at this time going for ukes... really this pisses me off big time....have you looked
closely at that picture, especially at the strings...hell I think it me be steel strings on it man...this is a better looking one, but more expensive..http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-STYL...310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589530ff46

Last edited:
To all you Gawkers of Stan's 5k, I got to see it and play it. Man talk about sweetness. Played alot of his ukes, like being in HMS, plenny ukuleles. Mahalo Bruddah, see you when I see you...........................BO....................

Hey John, it looks right to me but Howard, Chris and Stan have more experience. The wooden tuners look right and would place it at pre-1927 and the ebony nut and saddle would suggest 20's too. I have two early 1's and they both have light wooden nuts and saddles, one is a 1K which started production in 1920 IIRC. I'm one of those people that Stan hates because I bid at the very end of the auction but only on one uke at a time <g>. I considered bidding on this although I suspect that it will close at least $100 higher, but you never know. Sorry to hear about your air conditioner but maybe you need to revise your priorities, even if you live in TX <g>. cheers, g2

Aloha John,
Yes it is a nice early martin...and it looks like it has not been cared for or play with for a long time....it's really hard to tell the sound of these old vintage martins..
You know now it is just above 325.00 on the ebay bidding..about the last hour on these, you get all these dealers jump in an really escalate the prices, one thing I
hate with Ebay...Darn Dealers...I check and some have like over 10 bids going at this time going for ukes... really this pisses me off big time....have you looked
closely at that picture, especially at the strings...hell I think it me be steel strings on it man...this is a better looking one, but more expensive..http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-STYL...310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589530ff46

I don't think those are steel strings - I thought they were very old yellowed gut. Which kind of jibes with your idea it may have been sitting in somebody's closet for a few decades. Couldn't tell if there was any play wear under the dust. Auction claims no cracks but I see at least one short but tight crack on the top.

Last edited:
Aloha John,

That's a nice looking uke but the starting bid is more than I'd be willing to pay for a vintage uke, at least without playing it first. Kind of moot point now since the AC guy got my uke money. :(

John

Top Bottom