PDA

View Full Version : Dueling Banjos -- Solo Ukulele

Cali Rose
08-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Here's my version and arrangement of "Dueling Banjos." Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/Fl2DXuwit6c

Camsuke
08-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Brilliant work Cali, a real treat.

Hippie Dribble
08-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Totally awesome!!!! Amazing playing, brilliant arrangement. Thanks much for the post. :)

Cali Rose
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Brilliant work Cali, a real treat.

Thank you Campbell! Strum On!

Cali Rose
08-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Totally awesome!!!! Amazing playing, brilliant arrangement. Thanks much for the post. :)

Much thanks Eugene!

rreffner
08-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Fantastic performance. I so enjoyed hearing and watching you perform.

Markr1
08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
That was really good Cali Rose. You smoked it!!

Cali Rose
08-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Thank you! Lots and lots of woodshedding, let me tell you...

caukulele
08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Wonderful, loved the arrangement and lots of fun too. Thanks for sharing!!

Cali Rose
08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Wonderful, loved the arrangement and lots of fun too. Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you for taking the time to watch. I know how busy we all are. Strum fun!

frets alot
08-07-2012, 04:20 PM
You Go Girl!

Huckleberry
08-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Well done Cali, well done

itsme
08-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Brilliant, awesome, fantastic, wonderful... don't know what I can add to that except to say I really enjoyed it. :)

FriendlyFred
08-08-2012, 02:12 AM
This sounds great. Excellent performance.

Pukulele Pete
08-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Very cool . I've always wondered why the song is named " dueling banjo's" when it is a banjo and a guitar .

coolkayaker1
08-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Wow, Cali, That's off the hook! so complex, and you kept both dueling "voices" distinct and independent. Wowee!

For a skilled player like yourself, to take a song like that from conception -- the I'm going to play Dueling Banjoes -- stage to the point of deftly playing it for this video, how msny woodshed hours are involved? Any idea?

sim4lin
08-08-2012, 02:23 AM
That may be the best Dueling Banjos I've heard on ukulele, certainly the best I can remember! :)

bodhran
08-08-2012, 02:24 AM
That is excellent.

Cali Rose
08-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Well done Cali, well done

Thank you so much Huckleberry!

Cali Rose
08-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Brilliant, awesome, fantastic, wonderful... don't know what I can add to that except to say I really enjoyed it. :)

And so fun to play. Don't we just love the ukulele. Thanks for watching "its me"

Cali Rose
08-08-2012, 05:27 AM
This sounds great. Excellent performance.

Thank you Fred, the friendly uke player...

Cali Rose
08-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Very cool . I've always wondered why the song is named " dueling banjo's" when it is a banjo and a guitar .

Very good point. The guy who wrote it was a guitar player and maybe his original intention was a duel between guitars. But I always think of that scary movie, Deliverance... And alas, we can pull it off with the ukulele too. Aloha!

Cali Rose
08-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Wow, Cali, That's off the hook! so complex, and you kept both dueling "voices" distinct and independent. Wowee!

For a skilled player like yourself, to take a song like that from conception -- the I'm going to play Dueling Banjoes -- stage to the point of deftly playing it for this video, how msny woodshed hours are involved? Any idea?

Hundreds of hours of woodshedding. But all fun. Although my neighbors and husband got sick of hearing it through the walls. It helps that I played guitar for years and a little banjo and am able to bring some of those techniques to the uke and create "a little bit of this, a little bit of that" arrangement. We just bring what we've got to the table, huh. The counter-melodies were so difficult for me and counter-intuitive to the way I usually play that I really had to play it over and over and over and over and over again to get it under my fingers. But anything new that we learn makes us better players and gives us more goodies to choose from when we play a song. Thank you for watching!

Cali Rose
08-08-2012, 05:38 AM
That may be the best Dueling Banjos I've heard on ukulele, certainly the best I can remember! :)

Oh my, thank you so much and thanks for watching! Play some joy today. Okay!

Cali Rose
08-08-2012, 05:42 AM
That is excellent.

Thank you "bodran"! I feel like a beginner too because there is always something new to learn that brings me right back to the starting gate. Again and again.
Strum happy!

coolkayaker1
08-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Hundreds of hours of woodshedding. But all fun. Although my neighbors and husband got sick of hearing it through the walls. It helps that I played guitar for years and a little banjo and am able to bring some of those techniques to the uke and create "a little bit of this, a little bit of that" arrangement. We just bring what we've got to the table, huh. The counter-melodies were so difficult for me and counter-intuitive to the way I usually play that I really had to play it over and over and over and over and over again to get it under my fingers. But anything new that we learn makes us better players and gives us more goodies to choose from when we play a song. Thank you for watching!

You're inspiring, Cali. And Craig, too. Hundreds of hours, even with your background. I believe it. Thanks for motivating me today!

mm stan
08-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Aloha Rosie,
wow Awesome Girl...I can see your guitar and banjo technique coming through...I am not sure how anyone would get tired of this...that was complete jamming girl....loved it...:)
thank you for sharing...happy pickings and strummings... it was sure a delight to see and hear... post more... love dat paper screen room dividers in the back too...:)

Cali Rose
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Aloha Rosie,
wow Awesome Girl...I can see your guitar and banjo technique coming through...I am not sure how anyone would get tired of this...that was complete jamming girl....loved it...:)
thank you for sharing...happy pickings and strummings... it was sure a delight to see and hear... post more... love dat paper screen room dividers in the back too...:)

Thanks Mystery Stan. We have to put the screens up so you don't see our messy living room. I will post more and have a whole bunch of other videos on YouTube. "Doggie Doo Blues" is fun. I had a gig at a pet cemetery and they invited me to sing about dog poop. Only in California. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmp39pwtp0c

itsme
08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
We have to put the screens up so you don't see our messy living room. I will post more and have a whole bunch of other videos on YouTube. "Doggie Doo Blues" is fun. I had a gig at a pet cemetery and they invited me to sing about dog poop. Only in California.
That was a total hoot! :)

And I, for one, really appreciate the fact that you and Craig put up the room divider screens for your vids. Looks way more professional and classy than someone who records from their webcam with an unmade bed, clothes on the floor and an open closet all visible in the background. Seriously, how hard is it to pull the covers up, pick your dirty clothes up off the floor and shut the closet door? :p

mm stan
08-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Aloha Rosie,
Wow You are Craig's Wife.....how cool ....I like his tenor pineapple.. did not know this....must be jams sessions all the time at your place:):o Happy Strummings..

Craig
08-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Aloha Rosie,
Wow You are Craig's Wife.....how cool ....I like his tenor pineapple.. did not know this....must be jams sessions all the time at your place:):o Happy Strummings..

Actually, we play so differently that we have to search for songs that we both can play together...crazy, I know....:)

coolkayaker1
08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
And I, for one, really appreciate the fact that you and Craig put up the room divider screens for your vids. Looks way more professional and classy than someone who records from their webcam with an unmade bed, clothes on the floor and an open closet all visible in the background. :p

frankly, i'd get off on seeing cali and craig's unmade bed, clothes on the floor and open closet.

:)

Mandarb
08-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Cali Rose
08-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you "UU Very Important Person." I appreciate you taking the time to watch.

Cali Rose
08-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Actually, we play so differently that we have to search for songs that we both can play together...crazy, I know....:)

That's true. It's taken years for us to settle down enough to hammer out a few arrangements in blissful togetherness. And alas, we're having a blast.

frets alot
08-09-2012, 04:02 PM
You do better at Dueling Banjos on the uke than I do on either the guitar or the banjo. I really enjoyed it. You are so talented. Thank you for sharing it....such a fine arrangement and great playing.

Cali Rose
08-09-2012, 04:57 PM
You do better at Dueling Banjos on the uke than I do on either the guitar or the banjo. I really enjoyed it. You are so talented. Thank you for sharing it....such a fine arrangement and great playing.

Thank you "frets alot" (I love that name!!!!) You are probably bringing you guitar and banjo chops to the uke, like I do. It's like a hearty stew of musical techniques. So rock on!

mm stan
08-09-2012, 07:35 PM
That's true. It's taken years for us to settle down enough to hammer out a few arrangements in blissful togetherness. And alas, we're having a blast.
Surely you both have a few favorites you both like and have fun with and would share with us....

Cali Rose
08-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Surely you both have a few favorites you both like and have fun with and would share with us....

We have a video of one song: "Sway." We did this about three weeks ago when we were visiting my newly-discoverd family of cousins (musicians all) in Indianapolis. On this one, my Cousin Noelle, a master violinist, joins us in her music room. "Sway" is a great song for the uke and we do it in the key of F. I learned it watching the Michael Buble video on YouTube. Thank you for asking and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NDmAX8W-Po

mm stan
08-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Bravo...awesome what a nice jam session.. loved it...thank you for sharing.. liked the yell at the end too...

Craig
08-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Bravo...awesome what a nice jam session.. loved it...thank you for sharing.. liked the yell at the end too...

There's no yelling in this one, but you may like this duet:

http://youtu.be/_3-2It3-cpE

Cali Rose
08-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Yes...the scream. I was very excited!

mm stan
08-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Mahalo Craig and Rosie,
A slower tempo and sounds so sweet it is... Wow

Cali Rose
08-11-2012, 04:39 AM
Mahalo Craig and Rosie,
A slower tempo and sounds so sweet it is... Wow

Thank you so much!