PDA

View Full Version : Weird sounds with new strings

Lalz
08-08-2012, 04:00 AM
Hi!

Ok so I just got a Kiwaya KS1 and today I changed the strings from the stock Hilos to Worth Brown Mediums. But now I suddenly have buzz on the E-string in first positions and some kind of ghost sound that resonates weirdly after I play F# notes, regardless of the string. I didn't get this with the Hilos on as far as I noticed, but when I knock the uke a bit my tuner gives an F at places and a C at other places.

Is this a normal thing while the strings are settling? Or is this a uke problem, a string problem, or do the two of them just don't get along too well? I read plenty of posts where people successfully used Worth Browns on the KS1, maybe I'm just unlucky?

I do remember getting weird high-pitched harmonies once when I was trying Worth strings on my banjo ukulele a long time ago...

If the strings are the problem, any recommendations for mellow strings with not too much tension and not too heavy gauge that would work with the KS1? If it's the uke, what do I do???

Thanks a million!

Sven-Uke
08-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Hi Lalou,

Are the new strings thicker, by any chance?
I has a similar experience after changing to thicker strings. The nut was not wide enough for the new string to pass trough, causing an irritating resonance.
A local luthier fixed it for me in two minutes.
Hope this helps!

Regards
Sven

Lalz
08-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks Sven! Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

The strings are actually slightly thiner than the stock ones. I changed back to the old ones to test things and the F# resonance frequency (not a buzz) disappeared. So I suppose it's the strings, or those strings with this uke?
I think the buzz might be caused by the strings being quite thin and with a higher tension than I'm used to so I end up not pressing down strong enough to make a clear fretting.

Gaah, it's always the same: You get the perfect uke and then the string saga starts lol

Sven-Uke
08-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks Sven! Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

The strings are actually slightly thiner than the stock ones. I changed back to the old ones to test things and the F# resonance frequency (not a buzz) disappeared. So I suppose it's the strings, or those strings with this uke?
I think the buzz might be caused by the strings being quite thin and with a higher tension than I'm used to so I end up not pressing down strong enough to make a clear fretting.

Gaah, it's always the same: You get the perfect uke and then the string saga starts lol

Good luck!

Lalz
08-09-2012, 03:54 AM
Thanks Sven!

Trinimon
08-09-2012, 04:37 AM
As bruddah Stan and Gyosh pointed out to me, it could the nut slot being too wide now that the new strings are thinner. Try a piece of paper or two shimmed in the E string nut slot and see if the buzzing stops. I had a similar issue with my C string on my uke. The original C string was a bit thicker than the Fremont string and caused it to buzz. Good luck!

Lalz
08-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh, I'll try that! Thanks a million!