Mainland ukes?

ukulelelearner

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For a while, I've been looking at better quality ukes than the one that I have, basically just upgrading and I thought a Mainland would be perfect.does anyone have a mahagony tenor or a mango tenor and would care to share their thoughts/opinions about it? I'm really interested and want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks in advance,
Annemarie

Hello everyone,

For a while, I've been looking at better quality ukes than the one that I have, basically just upgrading and I thought a Mainland would be perfect.does anyone have a mahagony tenor or a mango tenor and would care to share their thoughts/opinions about it? I'm really interested and want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks in advance,
Annemarie

LOTS of love for Mainland here on UU! The owner, Mike Hater AKA "HoosierHiver" on UU, is a HECK of a nice guy & the ukes are sweet too. Here's a couple of threads to get you started.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?45520-Mainland-Mahogany-Tenor-Review

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66384-Yet-another-mainland-post!

Warning.. what's coming next is a LOVEFEST! We REALLY love us some Mainland...

AGreed, Mainlands have been great for me. I have had at least three but maybe more, can't remember.

I love my Mainland Mahogany Slotted Headstock. I put Worth Browns on it. I find I reach for it the most. The sound is mellow without being too much so (that's what I was trying to achieve). I don't have a Mainland Mango Tenor, but I do have a Mainland Mango Pineapple with Aquilas on it, it has brighter, punchier sound.
--G

Mainland Mango Concert here. Only one I've ever had but I like it.

I have the Mainland Mahogany Slotted Tenor. Hard to beat for the price! I have Worth Browns on mine also.

Let's see, my ukes, in the order purchased (some of the Mainlands were purchased from Mike and others I picked up used):

Lanikai LU-21C (given to the wife though she hasn't shown much interest)
KoAloha concert (sold after I got my longneck)
Lanikai O-8E 8 string acoustic electric (gave it away to a friend - had great setup, decent electric sound, but unplugged it had all the tone of playing a wet dog)
Kala solid acacia pocket uke (gave it away as a contest prize)
Mainland gloss mango tenor with MiSi
Kiwaya longneck soprano
Mainland red cedar/rosewood concert (converted to coffee-can resonator)
KoAloha longneck (concert scale) soprano
Mainland red cedar / rosewood tenor (gave to my son-in-law - was good uke but I never warmed to it)
Mainland gloss mahogany cutaway slothead tenor with MiSi
Mainland matte mango soprano
Mainland matte mahogany baritone
Mainland matte mahogany soprano

Anybody noticing a trend?... ;)

All of the Mainland ukes above I regard as good ukes but the two sopranos are both truly outstanding - they really don't give up anything to my KoAloha. I don't know whether that is true of all Mike's sopranos or if I just got lucky.

The gloss mango tenor is also very good and definitely a keeper; not as loud as some tenors but very sweet whether acoustic or plugged in.

The other Mainlands are good ukes with nice action, good intonation, and good sound. I consider them keepers but I wouldn't be broken up over losing them the way I would the sopranos and the mango tenor.

John

Edit to add...oh, and a concert solid-body eleuke - don't remember what order I bought it in.

Last edited:
I have to agree, Mainlands can't be beat in their price range. I got a Gloss Mango Concert a while back and it has taken over the most played spot in my line up, I even prefer it over my Kamaka (although it not an apples to apples comparison, the Kamaka is a soprano Pineapple and I tend to prefer concerts).

I like mainlands for sound and price... it's a real good deal...not all ukes have the sound I like, but I can say this, mainland is up there for me...way up there..

I don't have any Mainlands....yet, but have played a few. They have a sweet woody tone and represent great value for the money. Can't count the number of positive posts and recommendatins I've read on UU. Good choice....fantastic customer service.

Mainland mahogany soprano
Mainland red cedar pineapple soprano
Mainland red cedar concert
Mainland mango concert
Mainland red cedar tenor
Mainland Reggae Gecko

Just played my mango concert and was reminded that it might be my favorite uke. I own about 40 ukes, btw.

Mainlands are great instruments for the money, high on the list. Mike and Tooktah's services are extremely customer friendly. Highly recommend for anyone looking for quality all solid instrument in the $300 and under price range.

I think the hardest part of deciding to purchase a Mainland is having to make a choice of their wood selections. Their customer service is wonderful and their ukes are very playable with great voices. Whatever wood you decide to go with, it will be a sweet player. My Mainlands, a ceder topped pineapple and mahogany slot head concert, are in the top three of my most played ukes.

I have a tenor and concert both in mahogany gloss. Am very satisfied with each. Have thought about a K-brand, but don't think I would find anything I would be happier with. Mainland Mike and UkeRepublic Mike are both top-notch to deal with. Good luck.

Can I just make an observation here. Whenever there's a Mainland thread (which is often), guess who NEVER turns up trying to pimp his instruments. That speaks volumes about Mike, and is amongst the very best reasons why you should deal with him.

Let's see, my ukes, in the order purchased (some of the Mainlands were purchased from Mike and others I picked up used):

Lanikai LU-21C (given to the wife though she hasn't shown much interest)
KoAloha concert (sold after I got my longneck)
Lanikai O-8E 8 string acoustic electric (gave it away to a friend - had great setup, decent electric sound, but unplugged it had all the tone of playing a wet dog)
Kala solid acacia pocket uke (gave it away as a contest prize)
Mainland gloss mango tenor with MiSi
Kiwaya longneck soprano
Mainland red cedar/rosewood concert (converted to coffee-can resonator)
KoAloha longneck (concert scale) soprano
Mainland red cedar / rosewood tenor (gave to my son-in-law - was good uke but I never warmed to it)
Mainland gloss mahogany cutaway slothead tenor with MiSi
Mainland matte mango soprano
Mainland matte mahogany baritone
Mainland matte mahogany soprano

Anybody noticing a trend?... ;)

Interesting... I have bought and sold so many ukes and always I go back to Mainland. Mainlands and my one Kamaka are always my favorites. My list purchased are about to look like your list.

Top Bottom