Ideas for my first uke modification project.

Fermin

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Two years ago, when I ordered my Pablo Kiernan ukulele (my first ever ukulele), I was so impatient with the three months wait that I bought a cheap Leonard ukulele to strum on while I waited for the real deal. It turned out to be a terrible instrument, that couldn't keep the tuning the moment I fretted any string. The main problem is the incredibly high action, that at the time I didn't have the knowledge or the tools to correct.

Now I'm thinking of turning it into something at least playable, but I still don't decide on what to do with it, as there are at least three types of instruments I'd like to have (and won't be able to afford for a while).

One option is getting rid of the body alltogether, replace it with a cookie tin or a tambourine (with the jingles and everything, I'm crazy like that) and turn it into a banjolele.

A second possibility would be taking the hint of the tall nut and turn it into a dobrolele to play lap slide style.

The simplest would be to just lower the action and keep it as a beater uke for when kids or drunk friends are around.

What would you do if it was yours? I will appreciate any advice you can give me, as this would be my first time modifying an instrument. I'm not afraid of making mistakes, though, it is already unplayable as it is, and it was really cheap.

The biggest challenge is that I live in a pretty small country (slightly smaller population than Montreal), where ukuleles aren't really popular yet, so I will most likely not find any pieces made specifically for the uke.

Thanks!
2n9dlkw.jpg

jfvwh2.jpg

2lu410g.jpg

16jrn9e.jpg

Wow, you won't even have to raise the nut or the saddle to make it a dobrolele. That sure is some nose bleed high action. Personally, if it was me, I would just lower the action at the nut (first) and at the saddle and make it a playable instrument. If you are still unhappy with it, give it away to a kid who would love to have it.

Dan

Looking at the second picture again, I'm thinking I could also just hang some miniature cable cars from the strings.

Wow...that sure is some high action. You could chop some off the nut to lower it. Looking at the photo, I'm not sure you could lower the saddle enough to get reasonable action. The bridge looks so much taller than the fingerboard.
Maybe you could rent it out to the circus for the high-wire walkers.

It is a great uke to practice doing a setup on. Adjust the action at the nut, it will improve playability and intonation.
If needed you can then adjust the saddle height to get the action where you want it.

I think I'll just go ahead and lower the action.

What types of files would you recommend for working in the nut? And if I can't find those here (it's a possibility), any homemade replacement?

I'm thinking I will most likely have to file down the saddle too, and probably even cut the bridge in half or replace it. What should I use to take it off?

My 2 cents. If the strings are even in the nut, I would take off the nut and remove material from the bottom. Tape a piece of 220 grit sandpaper to a flat (flatter than that!) surface and rub the nut evenly up and down it. Same deal for the saddle if it needs doing.
If you need to replace the whole bridge, then you will need advice from a person that is much smarter than me!

Thanks, Squirrel. I'll check that out later. I still haven't taken it out of the box since I moved.

Now, this may be a stupid question, but I already said this is my first attempt at working on a ukulele or any other instrument for that matter (and I'm not afraid of breaking the whole thing in the process of learning). How should I take off the nut? I imagine there must be some types of glues commonly used in the industry, and that I should pick a solvent that would dissolve that glue but not affect the wood.

Also, any advice as to taking the paint off? I may end up having it repainted. Any types of paint I should avoid?

Stewmac.com and LMII.com have videos that are very helpful and there is plenty on YouTube to keep your interest...

A radical approach would be to: Work on the action for a start! Remove bridge and glue it down properly, wood to wood/paper or whatever that top is. Fit it with a pickup then fill the the body cavity with expanding foam. Respray with black car paint and stencil skull motiffes all over it then finish with clear coats of lacquer. You now have a metal uke axe that you can put through a Marshall stack at full volume...

Stewmac.com and LMII.com have videos that are very helpful and there is plenty on YouTube to keep your interest...

A radical approach would be to: Work on the action for a start! Remove bridge and glue it down properly, wood to wood/paper or whatever that top is. Fit it with a pickup then fill the the body cavity with expanding foam. Respray with black car paint and stencil skull motiffes all over it then finish with clear coats of lacquer. You now have a metal uke axe that you can put through a Marshall stack at full volume...

JAJAJAJAJAJAJA!!!

I see what you're doing there... That's the uke you want for Christmas and you're trying to get me to make it for you!

I'll check those links, thanks a lot!

Top Bottom