PDA

View Full Version : Brittni's KoALoha: for sale?

coolkayaker1
08-09-2012, 06:50 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-build-KoAloha-ukulele-Brittni-Paiva-/140821446968?pt=Guitar&hash=item20c99cc138#ht_500wt_1413

Is this really Brittni's Koaloha used until last year? I thougt hers had fretboard inlays that said, "Brittni". Hmm. Thought I'd throw it up here for Uke Talk.

Anyone want to buy it to find out? Funny, everyone autographed it from her new band, except Brit herself. lol

Sellers feedback great, but only feedback as a Seller (not a Buyer) was in 2002. Hmmm.

SailingUke
08-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Crown bridge tenor, looks like a good deal even if it is not Brittni's.

wickedwahine11
08-09-2012, 07:56 AM
It could be, I had asked her about buying it on Twitter back in April. I can't remember what the price she wanted was, but I do remember it was way out of my budget. Don't quote me on this but it may have been about 4K if I recall. I tried searching the Twitter feed but can't find the price listed.

I would have jumped all over it on eBay, except for the autographs on it, that actually really ruins it for me -- those were not on it when I was looking at buying it from her. I do wonder what the reserve price is.

MisterRios
08-09-2012, 08:09 AM
I thought all Koaloha customs had the "Flying K" logo on the headstock? It looks like a stock Koaloha Tenor with her name engraved on it.

And her custom stage uke most definitely had her name on the fretboard. As seen on her very own MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva/photos/38358689

I just checked some other vids and found the uke in her Fusion West Fusion East video, starting at 1:06. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efO_WkySdhw&feature=player_detailpage#t=66s

itsme
08-09-2012, 08:41 AM
I would have jumped all over it on eBay, except for the autographs on it, that actually really ruins it for me -- those were not on it when I was looking at buying it from her.
Ruins it for me, too.

"Ukulele is autographed by Les McCann, Tom Scott, Skip Martin, and Javon Jackson."

Who cares?

Crown bridge tenor, looks like a good deal even if it is not Brittni's.

And her custom stage uke most definitely had her name on the fretboard. As seen on her very own MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva/photos/38358689
The one on her myspace does not have the crown bridge like the ebay one.

Brad Bordessa
08-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah, it sure looks like hers. I can't believe 1) she's selling it, 2) she's selling it with only a $1000 reserve. ???? It will always be a mystery to me....

The one on myspace is a newer one. She played the one on ebay for a long time before the one with "Brittni" on the fretboard showed up.

itsme
08-09-2012, 09:37 AM
I can't believe 1) she's selling it, 2) she's selling it with only a $1000 reserve. ????

Actually, it says the opening bid is $1000 with "reserve not met" so who knows what the reserve really is.

coolkayaker1
08-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Anyone bidding?

Nickie
08-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Not me, I don't want a tenor. I sold mine.

Trinimon
08-09-2012, 05:24 PM
How much to clean off the autographs? :p

Gillian
08-09-2012, 06:32 PM
KoAloha made tenor ukes with "Brittni" inlaid on the fretboard that anyone could purchase. When I went on the factory tour a couple of years ago, they had one hanging on the factory seconds wall.

wickedwahine11
08-09-2012, 07:10 PM
KoAloha made tenor ukes with "Brittni" inlaid on the fretboard that anyone could purchase. When I went on the factory tour a couple of years ago, they had one hanging on the factory seconds wall.

That is funny, that would be a detraction for me. I just wanted her uke because it was a curly koa crown bridge. :)

808boy
08-09-2012, 08:08 PM
If the price was right, "Goo Gone" will remove the autographs without ruining the finish. Use it on my "previously owned" ukes with no problems. Removes the gummy stuff from stickers too..................

coolkayaker1
08-10-2012, 12:51 AM
If the price was right, "Goo Gone" will remove the autographs without ruining the finish. Use it on my "previously owned" ukes with no problems. Removes the gummy stuff from stickers too..................
Goo gone removes indelible magic marker? I learned something here.

Trinimon
08-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Goo gone removes indelible magic marker? I learned something here.

Ditto here! Good to know.

wickedwahine11
08-10-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the tip. I have no business even considering buying that uke, but that does make it a lot more attractive.

That is interesting that it has no bids. As a seller, I understand the value of a reserve auction, but as a buyer I hate them. I wish it told you the reserve. As a buyer, I feel like what is the point of starting a bid at $1k if the reserve is 3k or 4k.

coolkayaker1
08-10-2012, 06:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgCtZTRWaMA

Wow, Goo Gone is good for a ton of things other than just getting store stickers off flower vases, I guess. :-0

AndrewKuker
08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I am not sure Goo gone or Goof off are really the best option for a nitro finish. They contain acetone. I have used them on poly finishes but best to go with naptha for the KoAloha

Nuprin
08-10-2012, 01:11 PM

I saw one hanging on their factory seconds wall when I did the factory tour two years ago. I asked them about it and they said it was actually Brittni's uke and she had brought it in for repair awhile ago. They decided they wouldn't be able to fix it so they were building (or had built...I don't quite remember) a new one. The one hanging on the wall was not for sale.

mds725
08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have no business even considering buying that uke, but that does make it a lot more attractive.

That is interesting that it has no bids. As a seller, I understand the value of a reserve auction, but as a buyer I hate them. I wish it told you the reserve. As a buyer, I feel like what is the point of starting a bid at $1k if the reserve is 3k or 4k.

I'm with you -- as an eBay seller I can appreciate a reserve but as a buyer I don't like them. I think the reason for starting bidding so much lower than the reserve is to get ass sense of where the market is. For example, if this seller had a $2,000 reserve and set the starting price at $2,000 and got no bids, he wouldn't gather any information about how the marletplace values the item. By setting the opening bid lower than the reserve, he may get bids, for example, of $1,100 or $1,200 or $1,500. He would then learn that the marletplace valued the item lower than the price for which he was silling to sell it. As a buyer, I find it annoying not to know what the reserve is, but I imagine the seller here is doing some market research.

mm stan
08-10-2012, 03:07 PM
I left a post on Brittni's forum about the uke...

itsme
08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
It is definitely her uke and even if you get the markers off it will have treason written all over it forever.
I don't understand what you mean by treason. She switched brands for whatever reason. That's no different than an athlete endorsing Nike vs. Puma or whatever.

808boy
08-10-2012, 04:38 PM
@chrimess,
My opinion, it's more TREASON for not playing Disney on a uke....................

chrimess
08-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Fair comparison, and coul you see Usain Bolt sell his Puma spikes or Lance sell his Trek bike and Nike Jersey other than for a charity auction?

I don't understand what you mean by treason. She switched brands for whatever reason. That's no different than an athlete endorsing Nike vs. Puma or whatever.

chrimess
08-10-2012, 04:46 PM
@chrimess,
My opinion, it's more TREASON for not playing Disney on a uke....................

No disrespect to disney, my friend, you'd have to go back to the early seasons of the ukulele competition to appreciate the inside joke.

808boy
08-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Aloha,
Brittni probably had a deal she could'nt refuse, more Kala?, why not.
Like Nascar, when Gibbs Racing went to Toyotas from Pontiacs, I didn't like it but still cheered for my favorite racer Tony Stewart.
It's all about dollars and sense............................................. .BO................................

Brittni Paiva
08-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone,

Yes, that is my uke on eBay, which I played from 2005-2011. That was one of their early customs. The "Flying K" started shortly after.

It really hurts me when I hear/read unkind things said. I am not a traitor, nor would ever think of hurting anyone.

Blessings,
Brittni

mm stan
08-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Aloha Brittni,
Thank you for responding....sorry for the unkind things posted here.....I will appoligize for all the negative things some have posted...You are not a traitor or anything like that...believe me.
Thank you for stopping by and clearing things up....I sincerely hope you will forgive us and be here more often....Take Care and Many Blessings Back to you A Hui Ho....

Brittni Paiva
08-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Thank you so much, Stan. I really appreciate your kindness and understanding.

coolkayaker1
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66181-New-record-quot-Tell-U-What-quot&p=962965#post962965

Brittni already, kindly and voluntarily, gave a thoughtful explanation of her Koaloha/Kamaka story on the post (linked above).

No further explanation necessary, and even that one was above and beyond. It's hard being famous, and you are, and knowing that any explanation you give will only reach a fraction of your audience that has the same question, no matter where you post the explanation. Just a fact of life, I suppose.

Your ukulele is cool, the one on eBay, and I enjoy your recordings with it. In particular, your East West Fusion video is unique and fun (when you get frustrated practicing on the park bench and bang your uke down on your leg--we can all relate to that!).

arpie
08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Good on you, Coolkayaker1! I was trying to find that post myself to add to this post!!

If anyone bids on that Custom Uke & gets it for anywhere near $1000, I reckon it would be the bargain of the century, especially given the 'kama' that goes with it!! I hope it goes to a worthy recipient who appreciates it's history.

....No further explanation necessary... ABSOLUTELY!! End of discussion!

Hippie Dribble
08-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I would never buy any uke that had writing/engravings made on it, but there is a collector out there who will be one very happy cookie.

As far as ebay goes, it's a dreaded place to have to do business. My own view about pricing is that the reserve should be at where the opening bid is stipulated, so everyone knows where they stand.

When you're well known you're cannon fodder unfortunately. That's just reality and you will never please everyone nor could you hope to. I applaud Brittni for participating in these few discussions to set matters straight and nip speculations in the bud. Steve, I agree with you but there comes a point sometimes when an explanation is actually not above and beyond, but needed for damage control reasons, otherwise people will tar you with whatever brush they like and one's reputation is inevitably compromised.

chrimess
08-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I had month idea and apologize ffor my earlier coomment.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66181-New-record-quot-Tell-U-What-quot&p=962965#post962965

Brittni already, kindly and voluntarily, gave a thoughtful explanation of her Koaloha/Kamaka story on the post (linked above).

No further explanation necessary, and even that one was above and beyond. It's hard being famous, and you are, and knowing that any explanation you give will only reach a fraction of your audience that has the same question, no matter where you post the explanation. Just a fact of life, I suppose.

Your ukulele is cool, the one on eBay, and I enjoy your recordings with it. In particular, your East West Fusion video is unique and fun (when you get frustrated practicing on the park bench and bang your uke down on your leg--we can all relate to that!).

wickedwahine11
08-11-2012, 03:39 AM
I actually sent an ebay message yesterday afternoon asking a couple of questions re removal of the signatures, if local pickup is an option, and if they would disclose the reserve (I assume that one is probably a no go). I have not heard back yet.

I did see that someone has bid on it now, with the reserve unmet. If I knew that she wanted the 4k she told me before in the Twitter message I wouldn't even continue to watch it. But if the reserve is less than or around 2k, I would really love to get a curly koa crown bridge KoAloha.

I actually really like Brittni, I have a few of her records, and her version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow is one of my favorite songs to play (clearly nowhere like she does!) but my biggest drawback in addition to the signatures is the engraving of her name. As much as I like her, I don't know if I want a uke with someone else's name on it. Still, it is awful pretty. I would have to sell my current KoAloha and the Pineapple Sunday I am picking up this week to get it, but they literally don't make them like that any more. Plus, other than hers and Daniel Ho's, you don't see many curly koa KoAlohas.

coolkayaker1
08-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I had month idea and apologize ffor my earlier coomment.

That is just out and out humble and honest. Well said. Wish more on here would be just as cool as you are, chrimess (me included).

Good point, Jon. About the needed explanation in some instances.

I echo Staci's thoughts about the ukulele--it's pretty sweet. And the high end electronics make it valuable, also. I don't mind the Brittni stamped on it much, but the autographs--to Brittni, no less--well, they just wouldn't have any meaning to the rest of us.

One thing still not clear to me, Staci and others: is this Brittni selling her own ukulele? I'd be, frankly, much more inclined to be interested if Brittni was selling it, rather than some third party that might have bought it from her.

itsme
08-11-2012, 10:48 AM
One thing still not clear to me, Staci and others: is this Brittni selling her own ukulele? I'd be, frankly, much more inclined to be interested if Brittni was selling it, rather than some third party that might have bought it from her.
I'm going to hazard a guess that it is.

The seller's ebay ID is blessingsinyeshua, the item is located in Hawaii. She has signed several posts here (including one above) with "blessings." Yeshua is the Hebrew equivalent of Jesus. On her site she says, "I'm not Jewish by ethnicity, but I'm Jewish by faith."

Do I know how to speculate, or what? :p

wickedwahine11
08-12-2012, 06:30 AM
So far there are four bids placed, all by the same person. So I guess they have just logged in to up their maxed bid a few times since it still lists as 1k with the reserve unmet.

I have not gotten a response to the ebay message I sent on Friday yet. I get they may not want to tell the reserve but I hope the seller at least answers me about the signatures and shipping. I am still debating back and forth about bidding on it.:confused:

lambchop
08-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I would love to buy it. Has to have a lot of good vibes if Brittni played it. Wonder what the reserve is?

wickedwahine11
08-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I would love to buy it. Has to have a lot of good vibes if Brittni played it. Wonder what the reserve is?

I was wondering the same thing and asked but I don't expect them to answer. I admittedly have used reserves in auctions but always disclosed them because I hate not knowing them as a buyer.

coolkayaker1
08-12-2012, 03:18 PM
It interesting that you've not had an eBay reply to a question from Friday. The auction isn't long enough to have delays in replies.

Even if Brittni is on tour, she likely could reply. Or, her husband Branden should help with account questions.

It's a nice ukulele, for sure. A quick online search shows that particular Fishman pickup alone is about 350 clams.

wickedwahine11
08-13-2012, 05:04 AM
It interesting that you've not had an eBay reply to a question from Friday. The auction isn't long enough to have delays in replies.

Even if Brittni is on tour, she likely could reply. Or, her husband Branden should help with account questions.

It's a nice ukulele, for sure. A quick online search shows that particular Fishman pickup alone is about 350 clams.

I just got a reply. It turns out they are in Hilo, not Oahu or Kauai where I would have tried to pick it up in person. They also told me the reserve, which I won't put here since they didn't opt to make it public on the listing. If you ask though, they will tell you. It is less than the 4k that Brittni had told me on Twitter, which is good, but it is probably still quite a bit more than I can afford. I would have to sell my crown bridge tenor KoAloha, my new Pineapple Sunday and still come up with a lot of cash.

Looks like there are two bidders competing right now. Someone will get a beautiful uke.

mm stan
08-13-2012, 05:11 AM
I just got a reply. It turns out they are in Hilo, not Oahu or Kauai where I would have tried to pick it up in person. They also told me the reserve, which I won't put here since they didn't opt to make it public on the listing. If you ask though, they will tell you. It is less than the 4k that Brittni had told me on Twitter, which is good, but it is probably still quite a bit more than I can afford. I would have to sell my crown bridge tenor KoAloha, my new Pineapple Sunday and still come up with a lot of cash.

Looks like there are two bidders competing right now. Someone will get a beautiful uke.
Aloha Staci,
I know you want it...Go for it Girl...this is a one of a kind....I would think it will increase in value it the future... Can you imagine it already in your showcase....Yes Yes Go for it and you get
a bonus...you get to meet Brittni.....if that is her selling it....let us know....good luck...

wickedwahine11
08-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Aloha Staci,
I know you want it...Go for it Girl...this is a one of a kind....I would think it will increase in value it the future... Can you imagine it already in your showcase....Yes Yes Go for it and you get
a bonus...you get to meet Brittni.....if that is her selling it....let us know....good luck...

Ha, I wish Stan. :)

I would have been willing to sell the crown tenor, and the new PS, but I cant add any more cash. I just got a new car so I have payments and no spare cash on hand. As it is, when I sell the PS, I owe $500 of that money to someone. I am just too tapped out.

It is sweet though, but someone else will probably have to be its new owner.

Trinimon
08-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Somebody's gonna get one sweet uke that's for sure! Wish it were me but I don't think I won this wkn'd lottery to pay off the bills and a new uke too. :(

chrimess
08-13-2012, 05:42 AM
at the expected price level/reserve why not aim for a personal black label from Paul or Ben instead? I understand the uke in question is one of their finest but if you look at their recent ouvres they are even more breathtaking.

coolkayaker1
08-13-2012, 08:12 AM
at the expected price level/reserve why not aim for a personal black label from Paul or Ben instead? I understand the uke in question is one of their finest but if you look at their recent ouvres they are even more breathtaking.

Are they still doing customs? I thought I read that they were so backed up they weren't even taking custom orders anymore at KoAloha.

wickedwahine11
08-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Are they still doing customs? I thought I read that they were so backed up they weren't even taking custom orders anymore at KoAloha.

Me too. I thought Paul stopped taking custom orders after he had about a two year wait.

chrimess
08-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Fair point. MGM was indicating, though, that the other luthiers would make a "semi-custom" red label.

Me too. I thought Paul stopped taking custom orders after he had about a two year wait.

wickedwahine11
08-16-2012, 05:24 AM
So it old for $3000. That was the reserve price the seller told me (that led me to know it was way out of my price range). The next highest bid was $2200. So which one of you guys/gals bought it?

The Big Kahuna
08-16-2012, 05:43 AM
So what makes it worth 3k ? Just asking.

coolkayaker1
08-16-2012, 05:54 AM

Tom Scott's autograph.

The Big Kahuna
08-16-2012, 05:58 AM
So, out of interest, if this were the identical Uke but with no celebrity connection, how much would it be worth ?

Gmoney
08-16-2012, 05:58 AM

The buyers bank account & willingness to pay. Neither of which I had...

The Big Kahuna
08-16-2012, 06:00 AM
I could play a Koaloha, but I'd have to put a bag over its head I'm afraid.