Hot Tamales - Instruction Video

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I don't know where to put this link so maybe one of the moderators can do it for me please :bowdown:

This is a one-take but carefully edited instruction video for RJs ragtime tune - Hot Tamales. I used my fine pix camera in video mode so there is no sophisticated recording going on here except I bounced some artificial daylight from a studio lamp off the ceiling of the room to neutralise the contrast - pretty good representation and shows off the lovely color and curl of the uke.

It's played on the concert uke I used as a demo for the kit building process and takes you through the basic way I play it. I'm sorry folks but I haven't time to tab this out for you but it is simple enough. There is some on screen help with chords. However here is the progression I use:
  • C E7 A A7 D7 G7 C G7 played twice then
  • C C7 F Ab7 as the bridge/option to break up the monotony
  • C E7 A A7 D7 G7 C G7 ending the verse
  • Continue
Continue for verse and choruses and then to show that you are not a one-dimensional player use this prgression: E7 A7 D7 G7 as another variation/bridge/break singing anything ridiculous that comes to mind :biglaugh:

Also, it's not ukulele playing but guitar technique applied to the uke. This tune is great strummed in a jug band and the breaks will give you the opportunity to fingerpicking shine too.

Have fun:music:

Wow Pete, That was truly incredible! I love it and will surely work hard to incorporate some of your stuff in my rendition.

Thanks for putting this up, I'm sure it will be useful to many!

Top Bottom