Lanikai LU-21CE Rate It

Tsani

Reaction score
Anybody got experience with the Lanikai LU-21CE? I am looking at acoustic-electrics. I am a bit picky about intonation. The notes have gotta be there. I am not just a strummer, most of my playing is picking, so bad sound makes me unhappy.

If you have one, or have played one - let me know how you would rate the intonation and sound.

I am poor (or cheap) so I am looking in the under $200 range. If you can recommend an acoustic-electric in that range with good sound, let me know.

Aloha!

I had an LU-21C (actually, still do, I gave it to the wife). It was like most of the Lanikai's I've seen, the action at the nut was very high and therefore the intonation very poor before I did a setup on it. After the setup it's a decent little uke though nothing to jump up and down about.

On the other hand, I had a Lanikai O-8E 8 string acoustic electric tenor. It came out of the box from a drop shipper with perfect setup and intonation at the nut. It also sounded decent plugged in. I gave it away because the unplugged sound was dismal - like playing wet dog fur.

So...one could draw any of several conclusions from this. That Lanikai does a lot better job of setting up their AE versions of instruments. That their tenor ukes are better than their concert and soprano ukes (I have purchased several LU-11 sopranos for grandkids and they all needed setups). Or...none of the above. :)

John

I have a Lanikai LU-21 soprano and the intonation is barely acceptable. I have several ukes and the Lanikai is by far the worst for intonation. It is also by far the cheapest.

I've had 2 Lanikai tenors and returned them both. The first one the top sank between the soundhole and bridge and the replacement for it had the worst intonation possible. My local dealer refunded my money with no hassle.

For $200, you can do waaaaaayyyyyyyy better!

I had an LU-21TE (the tenor version).

I did not like it and sold it on as soon as I could. Granted, I'm pretty new at this Uke thing so I'm no expert. But I just didn't like the sound or the feel.

Top Bottom