Check out a uku at the library

pete1030

Reaction score
From American Libraries Nov. 08 page 26:

Patrons at Forbes Library in Northampton, Massachusetts, can now check out ukuleles and instructional DVDs. Local music store owner Joe Blumenthal donated the instruments. "Only a tiny fraction of our population plays a musical instrument, in spite of the great deal of pleasure and satisfaction it brings," Blumenthal said. "The circulating ukulele at Forbes will give people the opportunity to give it a try."

The article is titled "A Uke For You" and has a great picture of Joe Blumenthal with 2 library employees holding ukuleles.

Being a library director myself I thought it was great to see something near and dear being spread by a public library teamed up with a music store.

Wow thats a really great idea. Hope it works at well you can never have too many ukulele players. :music::rock:

I'm also on the local library board and I've passed along the story to the head librarian for discussion at the next board meeting. What an idea! Here I was still limited in my thinking about book, DVDs and CDs in a library. Why NOT a ukulele? Or several?

Just got off the phone with my town library. They were not receptive to the idea. They stated storage space and upkeep as their reasons.

Monday I'll call county library and see what they say.

that is a really great idea! a few 30 dollar mahalos and some dvd's and you would be set. i love when libraries do stuff like this such as, at the University of Illinois you can check out Wiis and xboxes and ps3s. granted they are for the programing classes but it is a fun novelty.

Just got my local library board, here in Collingwood, ON, to order a soprano and a tenor uke, with cases, and tuners, as a test to see how they go over here. Coming in December.

I expect to see a story in the local media and when it's published, I'll post it here.

If you're interested, approach your local library board and make a pitch. Most boards are intrested in new ideas and new ways to get people through the doors.

Top Bottom