Songs played on uke that are over rated.

webby

Reaction score
I'll start the ball rolling with that awful Hey soul sister song, makes my flesh crawl

I'll start the ball rolling with that awful Hey soul sister song, makes my flesh crawl

That was my vote when I saw the title of this thread.

Who the fark listens to Mr. Mister, anyway? Were you lost for a rhyme, Train?

Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It's a great song but, I'm so tired of hearing it.:deadhorse:

I'm yours by Jason Mraz.

Oh and I am totally guilty of know all of these songs so far lol

Somehwere Over the Rainbow
I'm yours by Jason Mraz

+1 on those. I was always kinda embarrased to play them because of them being overly hyped.

The problem is that people who don't play the Uke want me to play these songs and would get ticked when I refused to play them. I gave up cuz I guess I appeared snooty. I'm not good enough to be snooty so I play them. So I guess I'll start singing Unchained Melody and You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling at karaoke bars as well to bring a more rounded cheesiness to my repitour. :p

I kind of a agree, but they have brought a lot of new players to the uke. I'll bet that lots of folks who bought a uke so they could play one of those songs are now sympathizing with you....enough already.

Somehwere Over the Rainbow
I'm yours by Jason Mraz

+1 on those. I was always kinda embarrased to play them because of them being overly hyped

Those two are great starter songs though. They get people playing a song within a couple days, and then hopefully moving on to less cliché tunes... I started with them but no longer offer them as an option in my repertoire... I've taught them to a number of people though as a way to get them started on the uke.

Funny some think Over the Rainbow as over rated, as it's probably THE song that put the `ukulele on the map IMO.

When Iz played and sang Over the Rainbow, it was great. When I do it (or most others I have heard), its meh. My daughter-in-law always wants me to play and sing it to my infant grandson, because he loves the Iz version, but its embarrassing for me to even attempt to sing it like Iz, and he is never fooled.

I think many songs are just songs, until someone plays a really great version.

I didn't mention "I'm yours" because that is not even music. :)

dream a little dream...played it to death

The first three songs mentioned (Hey Soul Sister, Over the Rainbow, and I'm Yours) are the three that people ask me to play ALL the time. And with all due respect to Iz, who I love, I'm so tired of all of these and definitely don't want to play them.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It's a great song but, I'm so tired of hearing it.:deadhorse:

I feel the same way about Hallelujah. I've been to too many open mike nights where someone feels if he sings it as slow as he possibly can, it will make him seem soulful. Blechhhhh. I eventually wrote up a set of parody lyrics called "I'm Sick of Hallelujah".

I learned these for other people.. I cannot sing them well but they are easy to learn. The people I haveplayed for love to sing along and do not know the songs I love to play.

Ten or so years ago, before this ukulele mania thing ever got started, the Little Woman and I went to Hawaii; the Big Island to visit some friends. On the radio was played "The Star Spangled Banner" on uke. Professionally done, but not my cup of tea.
Still not my cup of tea.
I think this may be why she is tepid to all my attempts at instrumental ukulele? If I don't tell/sing a story to her or the Grand kids, it's just noise to her. I Have to go downstairs to practice.

I personally LOVE "Hey Soul Sister." It taught me how to play an "E" and built up a lot of finger strength being able to play the song the whole way through. CGAmF? That's your problem.

And Over the Rainbow? My ALL TIME FAVORITE no matter how poorly or well it's played because of the imagery and memories it invokes and if you've ever heard Derrick Sebastion play it in all arpeggio you'd be moved.

If you honestly dislike these songs and always have . . . fine. I don't understand the tag-along mentality of not liking a song because the so-called cool kids are saying they're over it. I put up with years and years of cover bands playing "Brown Eyed Girl" poorly, and I cringe every time I hear a cover band launch into it, but I still love the original.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tip Toe Through the Tulips yet. (Although, I love that one, and don't think that - as a song - it's overrated; I guess it comes down to whatever Tiny Tim stigma happens to be related to it).

(For the record, I like Tiny Tim, too. But to clarify: certainly not for uke "technique").

Last edited:
I personally LOVE "Hey Soul Sister." It taught me how to play an "E" and built up a lot of finger strength being able to play the song the whole way through. CGAmF? That's your problem.

And Over the Rainbow? My ALL TIME FAVORITE no matter how poorly or well it's played because of the imagery and memories it invokes and if you've ever heard Derrick Sebastion play it in all arpeggio you'd be moved.

If you honestly dislike these songs and always have . . . fine. I don't understand the tag-along mentality of not liking a song because the so-called cool kids are saying they're over it. I put up with years and years of cover bands playing "Brown Eyed Girl" poorly, and I cringe every time I hear a cover band launch into it, but I still love the original.

Well said, my friend, well said.

I think songs are as individual as the performer who plays em. Each song or piece of music takes on a new life each time it is played by someone different. On that basis, I can't think of one song that is over-rated on a uke.

Top Bottom