Worth "Fat" Strings

bongofury

Reaction score
Anyone else love 'em? There seems to be little info or discussion on these strings.

I put them on my Ohana SK35 and to me they sound better than other Worth (clear and browns) as well as Aquilas. With all other sets the "C" string was way too boomy and drowned out the others. This set has a thicker "G" and "A" string to compensate. The uke sounds much better balanced now. Also the harder string tension brings out the "bark" on the soprano.

If anyone else is on the fence about getting them (like I was) I'd strongly recommend giving them a shot!

That's a lot of tension for a soprano. This is what is says on the Elderly site:

The maker says these strings are primarily intended for soprano or concert ukes. However, the user should be aware of the increased tension load and how it might impact their specific instrument

I don't mean to alarm you because I have no idea whether the tension is a problem on your "specific instrument." But when I read the warning I found it disconcerting.

I haven't used them on a soprano, but I do have a set on an old Lyon & Healy Tenor (which is actually a long scale concert - 15-3/4"). I have them tuned down 1-1/2 steps though (E,A,C#,F#). The body resonates best at this tuning, although they were made, according to the L&H literature, to be tuned even lower, like a reentrant baritone. The Fats were the best solution for this ukulele. I tried everything, believe me. They are great strings for the reasons you enumerate.

hmgberg: "I have them tuned down 1-1/2 steps though (E,A,C#,F#)"

Wow, I thought I was the only one tuning down to those. I tuned down as you say on my new baritone with GCEA strings. I love it tuned down,but didn;t want bari DGBE strings. Cool to know someone lese is doing it, too.

to original poster, I wanted Fats for some time, and I appreciate your opinion of the strings.

I didn;t want to find out if my uke could tolerate the high tensions the hard way (soundtop bellying/dishing, bridge popping off, neck warping, etc.) so I opted not to use them. Seems like the only way to know would be to try them over time. You could tune down like hmberg and I, but it'd sound weird on a soprano.

I tried to get some feedback on those strings last year....nothing. At least you got some info. Good to know about the high tension thing.

I have the CFs on a Koaloha superconcert and a Kelii tenor and they are my number one choice in reglar tuning.

The HD strings from them we chose to not put them on the site. Personally, they scare me. Maybe wear sunglasses just in case a bridge comes flying at you.

I didn;t want to find out if my uke could tolerate the high tensions the hard way (soundtop bellying/dishing, bridge popping off, neck warping, etc.) so I opted not to use them. Seems like the only way to know would be to try them over time.

I was a little bit worried at first about putting them on my uke because of the tension, but they've been on for 4 months with no problems.

Cool. Your review and thoughts about them are respected.

Especially since the rest of us are too chicken sh€€ to use them. Lol.

Thanks for posting, bf.

Top Bottom