B6 Chord and D Augmented Chord

beautifulsoup

Reaction score
In short, I'm now looking at Jumpin' Jim's Happy Holidays book, and giving my first try at B6 and D Augmented chords.

Yikes. In short, for those particular chords, (and for other chords where finger 4 needs to be on the C or G string fingers 2 and 3 are on higher strings), does anyone have other alternatives? (Like sharing two stings with one finger)?

Or any other advice? Would this be a matter of adjusting hand position slightly, dropping wrist, curling up fingers 2 and 3? Or all of the above, which probably comes under "find out what works, and practice, practice, practice?" :D

Thanks for your help! :music:

What shapes are indicated for these chords? If you're playing Daug as 3221, then you can indeed use the middle finger to hold down the middle two strings at once. But that's probably more difficult than just using all four fingers.

Hand position is generally key to getting finger four into a natural playing position. First, make the chord shape without pressing down on the strings at all, just resting the fingers on them. Try to get the hand into as neutral a position as possible while maintaining the shape. Now press down and play the chord as cleanly as possible, using the smallest pressure possible. Try and remember the feeling of playing this chord in this way as you alternate between this and other chords.

Hi

Almost always, "6" chord can be substitued with a plain "triad" chord, that is, you can play B chord in place of B6.

For B6, you can also play 4 3 4 2 or any other "G#m7". They both contain the same four notes, B D# F# G#.

On the other hand, Daug is Daug, cannot be substituted by plain D chord. (FYI, D chord is D F# A; Daug is D F# A#). You probably have 3 2 2 1? You could play 3 2 2 5 (barre 2).

Here is what I would do alternatively - I play 3 2 2 X, and X means "muted" so essentially, I just don't play A string. You can do it after some practice! Just don't strum all the way. Or, hold the 3 2 2 X by R I M and rest your pinky on A string (but not fret) so the string gets muted. This is a convenient technique to avoid a difficult chord in a fast chord change. You can also play X 2 2 1 - you can use your thumb to mute G string

I hope these ideas help

Cheers
Chief

Those are difficult chords. I use one finger (usually my middle finger) as a partial barre to fret the notes at the second fret for both B6 and Daug. It's tricky---and a bit uncomfortable---but it works better than wrangling all four of my fingers into those positions.

Best of luck finding the least difficult way to play these chords---they do sound great.

Those are difficult chords. I use one finger (usually my middle finger) as a partial barre to fret the notes at the second fret for both B6 and Daug. It's tricky---and a bit uncomfortable---but it works better than wrangling all four of my fingers into those positions.

Best of luck finding the least difficult way to play these chords---they do sound great.

Great answer, (what I bolded) thanks! :agree:

Last edited:
What shapes are indicated for these chords? If you're playing Daug as 3221, then you can indeed use the middle finger to hold down the middle two strings at once. But that's probably more difficult than just using all four fingers.

Hand position is generally key to getting finger four into a natural playing position. First, make the chord shape without pressing down on the strings at all, just resting the fingers on them. Try to get the hand into as neutral a position as possible while maintaining the shape. Now press down and play the chord as cleanly as possible, using the smallest pressure possible. Try and remember the feeling of playing this chord in this way as you alternate between this and other chords.

Thank you. I've done some of what you've suggested with the more "basic chords" - and so far have neglected to follow through on the more difficult chords. (D'OH!)

Hi

Almost always, "6" chord can be substitued with a plain "triad" chord, that is, you can play B chord in place of B6.

For B6, you can also play 4 3 4 2 or any other "G#m7". They both contain the same four notes, B D# F# G#.

On the other hand, Daug is Daug, cannot be substituted by plain D chord. (FYI, D chord is D F# A; Daug is D F# A#). You probably have 3 2 2 1? You could play 3 2 2 5 (barre 2).

Here is what I would do alternatively - I play 3 2 2 X, and X means "muted" so essentially, I just don't play A string. You can do it after some practice! Just don't strum all the way. Or, hold the 3 2 2 X by R I M and rest your pinky on A string (but not fret) so the string gets muted. This is a convenient technique to avoid a difficult chord in a fast chord change. You can also play X 2 2 1 - you can use your thumb to mute G string

I hope these ideas help

Cheers
Chief

Thank you!

Here is a suggestion that may help long term. Start to exercise your pinky. Visit your local Physical therapist and ask for their suggestions on exercises to strengthen your pinky. Mid afternoon Tuesday or Thursday is a good time to try, ie when they are not too busy. As a Stopgap until the pros weigh in wrap your last pinky joint around a solid table leg, a piano leg would work. Apply outward pressure for a count of ten. Relax. repeat 10 or 15 or 30 times. Do this three times a day.

If you think this sounds weird, a boss of mine suggested I find a Browning.Automatic.Rifle. and work the ring at the end of the hand grip for just this purpose. I never had the chance to try it out though.

For Daug (or any augmented triad) you only need three of the four notes: one of the notes is always doubled (though possibly at an octave) in a full chord form. In the 3221 form (n:2110), the outer strings are doubled, meaning that you can either not fret/strum one of them (typically, the 4th string) or mute one of them either by the finger you're not using for fretting the other strings or by positioning your index so that it frets the 2nd string while simultaneously touching (but not fully fretting) the 1st string.

For me I barr the first fret with my index, then the middle finger with the E and A strings and ring finger extends to the G string 3rd fret
for me better in transitions than single fretted strings... takes practice, patience, and persistance to get is down smoothly.. and time too
as you build your dexterity and finger muscles and memory ...good luck and happy strummings.. :)

For Daug (D+), another possibility is to substitute Daug7 (D+7). It doesn't always fit, of course, but when it doesn't, it's possibly because the augmented chord was misnotated with the wrong root. So you might try the +7 chords for the two other possible roots (4 semitones apart). For D+, these would be F#+ and A#+ (enharmonically equivalent to Bb+), so you might also try F#+7 and A#+7 (Bb+7).

I may be 'preaching to the choir', but also, please take care re: the placement of your THUMB
when forming chords, esp 4-finger chord forms.

If you are in the habit of carrying/holding the neck of your uke in the web between your thumb
and index finger, you will have difficulty forming chords that require stretching your fingers, esp
to the 4th string.

I suggest learning to form chords (and playing the uke in general) with your THUMB, initially,
behind the 2nd fret/space, in the middle of the back of the neck. This should leave a lot of room
between the neck and your hand. You will also be able to pivot your wrist toward the headstock
to form those chords that require 2 or 3 fingers in the same fret (stacked on top of each other).

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom