PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful Easy Feeling

keonepax
08-12-2012, 01:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIvEkntdXk

I've been afraid to do Eagles' songs after what happened to Seeso a few years ago, but I really like this song and wanted to test the waters so to speak. Hope you like my rendition...

23skidoo
08-12-2012, 04:14 AM
great setting, John - gives me a 'peaceful, easy feeling' too..... the waves are great percussion. Wonderful lead playing, as well..... really nice video!

The Big Kahuna
08-12-2012, 04:30 AM
[video=youtube;8mIvEkntdXk]after what happened to Seeso a few years ago

What did happen to seeso ?

coolkayaker1
08-12-2012, 04:48 AM
He was forced to take his many covers down due to copyright. The Eagles are particularly vicious this way, although they are fighting to get their back catalogue from current owners.

Should they win, they might be more gracious with fellows sitting on a beach playing tunes on a four-stringed toy.

But, John, you make that toy sing. Lol

The Big Kahuna
08-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Youtube is full of Eagles covers. Weird.

Great version anyway John. Where was the video shot ?

keonepax
08-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks Bill, Big Kahuna, and Steve! Seeso did a fantastic cover of "Hotel California" that got nailed by the copyright police. But yeah, other Eagles covers seem to be left alone. So it's hard to figure. The Eagles have a lot of songs that would sound great on uke.

I didn't see a sign with the name of the beach anywhere, but Ahnko guesses it's Kahana Bay and the map indicates that he might be right.

Tootler
08-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks Bill, Big Kahuna, and Steve! Seeso did a fantastic cover of "Hotel California" that got nailed by the copyright police. But yeah, other Eagles covers seem to be left alone. So it's hard to figure. The Eagles have a lot of songs that would sound great on uke.

I noticed that there were six covers of Peaceful Easy Feeling and one of Take it Easy in the list of suggested videos next to this one. Maybe they've realised the publicity value of covers of their songs. Mostly when copyright picks up your cover you just get a "Matched Content" notice and ads appear by your video. That way the copyright owners get some royalties. Not very much, I suspect as most amateur videos only attract a few tens of plays.

Nice version by the way. I liked your instrumental in the middle.

gnordenstam
08-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Peaceful Easy Feeling was written by Jack Tempchin and covered by the Eagles on their first album. I believe he still owns the rights to it, along with "All Ready Gone," another song often attributed to the Eagles, but actually a Tempchin composition. That may make them safer songs to cover.
--G

Camsuke
08-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Great song choice John, brilliant location and as usual, a truly fine performance.

Craig
08-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I've been afraid to do Eagles' songs after what happened to Seeso a few years ago, but I really like this song and wanted to test the waters so to speak. Hope you like my rendition...

Well, I guess you're feeling pretty peaceful and easy about performing this song! [rim shot] It's great to see and hear you again John! Great song and performance. This was the first summer in 10 years that we didn't go to Hawaii! This video makes me miss Kauai!

Craig
08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
What did happen to seeso ?

We saw him at this year's Mighty MO Festival and he said he was going to get back into making videos again....

coolkayaker1
08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Peaceful Easy Feeling was written by Jack Tempchin and covered by the Eagles on their first album. I believe he still owns the rights to it, along with "All Ready Gone," another song often attributed to the Eagles, but actually a Tempchin composition. That may make them safer songs to cover.
--G
Great knowledge and good point.

keonepax
08-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks, friends!! :)

seeso
08-13-2012, 05:56 AM
John, great rendition! Very peaceful and easy. :D

keonepax
08-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Seeso! I hope you can re-upload your "Hotel California." That was classic!

seeso
08-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Seeso! I hope you can re-upload your "Hotel California." That was classic!

I will not be tempting fate again! I just uploaded it to facebook.

myrnaukelele
08-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Another fine video keonepax. Very peaceful and easy. :)

itsme
08-13-2012, 07:39 PM
keonepax, I always enjoy your renditions. This one just put another smile on my face. :)

He was forced to take his many covers down due to copyright. The Eagles are particularly vicious this way, although they are fighting to get their back catalogue from current owners.
Please don't blame the Eagles personally. I doubt Don Henley or Glenn Frey give a rat's patoot about anyone playing their songs on an uke on youtube. If anything, I think they'd probably think it was cool that people were actually playing their music instead of just listening to it.

But there are some publishing companies that seem to want to be pitbulls in a dogfight.

keonepax
08-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks, Myrna! Thanks, itsme! Yes, I too think most artists would get a kick seeing their song covered on YouTube. It's actually the copyright holder who's being greedy or shortsighted.

keonepax
08-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Someone asked me for the tabs for the solo, so I uploaded my practice sheet on MediaFire:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?opp25pcdxs94qn1

ukuloonie
08-25-2012, 05:05 PM
I always look forward to your videos Keonepax

TCK
08-25-2012, 08:14 PM
I hate nothing more than the Eagles...and it is a seriously long story as to why...but I had to watch this, and you did the heck out of it didn't ya? Good stuff herein

keonepax
08-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks ukuloonie and TCK!

mm stan
08-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Aloha Bruddah Keone,
Wow Love dat song Brah...great job and brings back memories...Mahalo Nui ...Happy Strummings Bruddah
was dat at Kahana Beach Park?

keonepax
08-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Mahalo, Stan! Yes, I think so. I didn't see any signs but on the map it looks like the place we stopped at to record.

Bob Bledsoe
08-26-2012, 08:16 AM
This is great! Beautifully played and nice location. The angle you shot makes it so easy to learn. Chords are clear and even the solo cutaway is shown clearly. It's like you did a teaching video. Thank you!

keonepax
08-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Bob! I think the solo isn't too difficult for most players if they work it out slowly at first and gradually play it faster and faster. It's a good one for incorporating string bending or whatever you call that technique near the end of the solo.

Tootler
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
keonepax, I always enjoy your renditions. This one just put another smile on my face. :)

Please don't blame the Eagles personally. I doubt Don Henley or Glenn Frey give a rat's patoot about anyone playing their songs on an uke on youtube. If anything, I think they'd probably think it was cool that people were actually playing their music instead of just listening to it.

But there are some publishing companies that seem to want to be pitbulls in a dogfight.

Most songwriters want people to sing their songs. Unfortunately publishing and record companies are scared s**tless they might lose 1/2 pence in royalties. Greedy b*******

keonepax
08-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Makes me think of that line from "Sounds of Silence": People writing songs that voices never share. Pretty sad how greedy some people are...