PDA

View Full Version : Freak Accident Destroys Dolphin :(

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Arrrggghhh!

My four year old moved my uke from a table and left it in a gig bag on the office chair. My wife then fell over her feet and landed on the chair squashing the uke. It has snapped where the neck meets the body.

I haven't looked too closely yet but it doesn't look like a clean break so probably not fixable. (I'm not a skilled woodworker no matter how much I would like to make my own uke in the future.)

I feel rather sad at what has happened and angry with myself that I didn't immediately check what Lily had done with the dolphin but I can't blame her really nor my wife for being clumsy.

luluwrites
08-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Is your wife okay?

ukuhippo
08-12-2012, 06:55 AM
RIP little Dolphin. Good thing they're cheap: get yourself a new one!

The Big Kahuna
08-12-2012, 06:57 AM
If the neck is otherwise okay, you have no excuse for not digging out your tool kit and building a cigar box Uke'

ukuhippo
08-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Is your wife okay?

Didn't you read his post? A Dolphin died :(. Anything that happened to the wife is just collateral damage.

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Is your wife okay?

She's fine thanks, I don't really think she knows what to say. I'm not sure I'm helping as rather grumpy.

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 07:13 AM
If the neck is otherwise okay, you have no excuse for not digging out your tool kit and building a cigar box Uke'

I refer the honourable gentleman to my above comment on my woodworking skills. :)

luluwrites
08-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Sounds like now's your chance to upgrade!

(edited for clarification: upgrade ukes, not wives.)

She's fine thanks, I don't really think she knows what to say. I'm not sure I'm helping as rather grumpy.

1931jim
08-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Is your wife okay?
Hello luluwrites,
That was my immediate reaction also. I am glad she is OK. As Ben has enlightened us.
Jim

The Big Kahuna
08-12-2012, 07:24 AM
I refer the honourable gentleman to my above comment on my woodworking skills. :)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kD2B_3HavD0/T1BZ4j78PLI/AAAAAAAAAjY/gHde3wx-pTo/s1600/061083020002E_4.jpg

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Hello luluwrites,
That was my immediate reaction also. I am glad she is OK. As Ben has enlightened us.
Jim

Give me a break guys ;) I would of course had far more to worry about had my wife been hurt.

kvehe
08-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Sincerest condolences on your loss. My Dolphins grieve with me.

Kathryn

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Sounds like now's your chance to upgrade!

(edited for clarification: upgrade ukes, not wives.)

I've already spent a fair bit on upgrades already and only been playing 4 months (ukes not wives)

1931jim
08-12-2012, 07:46 AM
'Tis a sense of humor you have Ben. A and B epoxy and 1/8" dowels will perform miracles.
PS: humor and humour.

OldePhart
08-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Careful...if PETA gets word of the fact that your family has killed a Dolphin they'll soon be picketing in front of your house...

Plainsong
08-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Careful...if PETA gets word of the fact that your family has killed a Dolphin they'll soon be picketing in front of your house...

Nah, PETA is pointless if you care about animals. I'm sending the Sea Shepherds! The next season of Whale Wars? Your house, buddy. :D

It's a pity when there's an accident and there's no one you can really blame. Your little girl put the uke in its case and set it in a seemingly safe place. Your wife just plum fell. It sucks when something happens and you want to yell and there's no one to yell at. Glad your wife's ok though!

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Nah, PETA is pointless if you care about animals. I'm sending the Sea Shepherds! The next season of Whale Wars? Your house, buddy. :D

It's a pity when there's an accident and there's no one you can really blame. Your little girl put the uke in its case and set it in a seemingly safe place. Your wife just plum fell. It sucks when something happens and you want to yell and there's no one to yell at. Glad your wife's ok though!

Ah, now this is where it gets complicated! (I've calmed down now btw.)

Lily, for some reason had decided to give us a show and play "The wheels on the bus" on her uke. For some reason, only known and understood by four year olds this involved taking my dolpin out of it's case and putting her mahalo in the case instead. She then left my dolphin in her mahalo gig bag on the chair and came to us proclaiming it to be concert time! I doubt my case (rockbag) would have made any difference and Lily is oblivious to all the trauma, just the way it goes.

I'm destringing it at the moment to see how bad the damage is and will report when I have a better idea. Might need to relocate this thread to the luthiers lounge ;)

ramone
08-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I'd make a clock out of the body if it can't be repaired.

rem50
08-12-2012, 09:00 AM
I'd make a clock out of the body if it can't be repaired.

can anyone say genius?! I see a new business venture on the horizon!

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 09:04 AM
OK,

I've cleaned away some splintered wood from where the neck connects into the body and I can now get it pushed back in again to a reasonable fit.

I now have two problems that I can see:

Firstly the fret board now has a bit of an upward slope where it meets the body that I don't recall it having previously.

Secondly the neck has some lateral movement. If I can glue this and try to hide the damage with black nail polish how do I ensure that the neck is perpendicular to the body. I have no woodworking tools, jigs, braces etc. I'm going to have to sit and hold it till the glue goes off.

Trinimon
08-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Poor dolphin. Glad to hear the wifey is fine. Sounds like it's time for a K uke. :)

ukuhippo
08-12-2012, 09:22 AM
OK,

I've cleaned away some splintered wood from where the neck connects into the body and I can now get it pushed back in again to a reasonable fit.

Just trying to avoid confusion: you're talking about the dolphin, right?

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Poor dolphin. Glad to hear the wifey is fine. Sounds like it's time for a K uke. :)

La, La, La..... I'm not listening!

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Just trying to avoid confusion: you're talking about the dolphin, right?

And here was me worrying about having typed I'm going to have to hold it till the glue goes off.

Sheesh, some people! :o

ukuhippo
08-12-2012, 09:33 AM
And here was me worrying about having typed I'm going to have to hold it till the glue goes off.

Sheesh, some people! :o

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, I'm glad your better half is OK.

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 09:36 AM

In some ways it's great that it was only my beater uke that got squashed. It is however a more immediate problem in that I now have to decide what to risk when traveliing around till the dolphin gets fixed.

I have however already established that my local music shop appears to have a pale blue dolphin in stock. (just, you know, in case I cannot repair the black one properly.)

Ben_H
08-12-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, I'm glad your better half is OK.

She's fine now she thinks I can fix it and have told her I'm not cross anymore. :)

Plainsong
08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
She's fine now she thinks I can fix it and have told her I'm not cross anymore. :)

At least she didn't squish something painful. I nearly did when I tripped and fell towards a male friend of mine when he was sitting in a chair. My hand was about to brace for impact towards a place not intended to take that impact. It was like slow motion. "Noooooooooo!" Luckily I fell on his legs and we have a laugh to this day.

So you do realize this will be a story even when your daughter is an adult, and can be used as an excuse as to why she cannot take the car out. :D

1931jim
08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
OK,

I now have two problems that I can see:

Firstly the fret board now has a bit of an upward slope where it meets the body that I don't recall it having previously.

Secondly the neck has some lateral movement. If I can glue this and try to hide the damage with black nail polish how do I ensure that the neck is perpendicular to the body. I have no woodworking tools, jigs, braces etc. I'm going to have to sit and hold it till the glue goes off.
If you have the strings removed you will notice that the height of the frets plus the fingerboard are usually about plus or minus 1/4" above the ukulele top. Now if you can get some FREE (free is good) wooden paint stirers (spelling) at the hardware or paint store (they are usually about 1/8" by 1" by 12" 's long. Try to get about five or six if you can.
Put 3 or 4 along the fingerboard to give it good support and extend them over the top, you will see that we have to fill the gap or space to the top. This is where the other paint stirers will tape to the extended ones along the fingerboard. A couple of sheets of paper will come in handy for shims. Try a dry run to get it all set up nicely before the final glue or epoxy application. Whenever you are satisfied with the setup and all is nice and straight just undo and then glue or epoxy, and have an extra pair of hands (wee wifey) to help with the duck taping of the sticks to your beloved Dolphin. When all is observed to be flat after the glue dries then put a couple of 1/8 dowels (sticks at the fish and chip store are usually 1/8") into wherever you think needs more TLC. Feel free to PM me if you desire.
Regards
Jim

Ukuleleblues
08-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Not a problem, just tell her you got it fixed and put it somewhere she can smash it again, door, behind car wheel, window, hall, etc. And when it happens just drop to you knees and hold you hands to the sky and sob "“I've never seen any baser acts of inhumanity to man. I've never seen screaming 'witches' burned at the stake, Christians tossed to starving lions, maidens pushed over the edge of active volcanoes. I've never seen a man going to the electric chair. But until I do, gazing at my poor Doplhin is my idea of cruel and inhuman punishment. Oh the inhumanity. SOB, SOB, SOB"

It might get you a nice uke for your B'day or Xmas

webby
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Didn't you read his post? A Dolphin died :(. Anything that happened to the wife is just collateral damage.

Hahahahhahahahahaha

Gwynedd
08-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Thank goodness, it was a Dolphin and not a custom uke, and by the way, is it kind to call your wife a freak? I mean, really! (just kiddin! Hope she is fine. Falls can be bad.)

Ben_H
08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Thank goodness, it was a Dolphin and not a custom uke, and by the way, is it kind to call your wife a freak? I mean, really! (just kiddin! Hope she is fine. Falls can be bad.)

Honestly, she's fine! She stumbled and put her hand on the chair to catch herself. Unfortunately there was a dolphin in the way and it bent where the neckjoins the body. As you say, it could have been a lot worse for both my a wife and othere ukuleles I own.

Ben_H
08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
If you have the strings removed you will notice that the height of the frets plus the fingerboard are usually about plus or minus 1/4" above the ukulele top. Now if you can get some FREE (free is good) wooden paint stirers (spelling) at the hardware or paint store (they are usually about 1/8" by 1" by 12" 's long. Try to get about five or six if you can.
Put 3 or 4 along the fingerboard to give it good support and extend them over the top, you will see that we have to fill the gap or space to the top. This is where the other paint stirers will tape to the extended ones along the fingerboard. A couple of sheets of paper will come in handy for shims. Try a dry run to get it all set up nicely before the final glue or epoxy application. Whenever you are satisfied with the setup and all is nice and straight just undo and then glue or epoxy, and have an extra pair of hands (wee wifey) to help with the duck taping of the sticks to your beloved Dolphin. When all is observed to be flat after the glue dries then put a couple of 1/8 dowels (sticks at the fish and chip store are usually 1/8") into wherever you think needs more TLC. Feel free to PM me if you desire.
Regards
Jim

Thanks for this. When I have digested it I may drop you a line for clarification.

Cheers

Ben