PDA

View Full Version : What brand of `ukulele strings do you prefer?

kalanz808
08-12-2012, 08:33 AM
I currently use Aquilas, but am heading to HMS today to maybe pickup something different, just to experiment. What strings do you use or prefer more than others?

mangorockfish
08-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Just restrung my Dolphin w/Freemont Blacklines yesterday. Still streching, but I think I'm gonna like them. Aquilas are I have ever used until now.

Yestyn The Great
08-12-2012, 09:06 AM
D'addario nyletechs! They are like aquillas but tighter and cheaper.

Trinimon
08-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Ditto on the Fremont Blacks. I like Worth Clears as well. Ko'olau Alohi are nice for picking but I don't like how they feel when strumming.

wickedwahine11
08-12-2012, 09:29 AM
My first choice would be Living Water, followed by PhD then Worths.

ukuhippo
08-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Aquila's on the Dolphin, Southcoast Heavy Gauge reentrant G tuning on the baritone.

guitarsnrotts
08-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Overall I prefer Worth Medium Browns although I also like the Fremont Blacklines and Martin Fluorocarbons.

The Big Kahuna
08-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Doesn't Aaron at HMS have his own line of strings ? Maybe give those a try.

The Big Kahuna
08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/strings/aaron-c-strings.html

Doc_J
08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Someone did a poll a while back.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?50710-Poll-Vote-for-your-Favorite-Strings&highlight=String+poll

The Big Kahuna
08-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd be more interested in knowing what the various "other" brand strings are that various people voted for.

hawaii 50
08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
right now i like a living water or Phd LowG string and savarez alliance for the c,e,a

Plainsong
08-12-2012, 10:24 AM
D'addario T2s and Living Water strings. I just love Aquila but haven't fit them until the mix for a while.

mattydee
08-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Daily Players:

Martin M600 for Mainland soprano in D and Banjolele
Worth Browns for the Pono concert
Southcoast heavy gauge reentrant for the Baritone. (Though I have a wound low D on it right now for a specific project... I really need that second bari, I guess ;)

The rest have Aquilas - Dolphin, Ohana SK10, Harmony soprano

weerpool
08-12-2012, 10:58 AM
i like to play GHS strings coz all the boutique strings are so overrated and 89% of the payers cant do justice anyways

lambchop
08-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I have tried many - used to love Worth clears, have tried the browns as well. Best for me are the Black Kamaka set, all nylon - not the set with the wound C string. Love those black nylon strings.

delray48209
08-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Martin M600 flurocarbon strings for me.

mm stan
08-12-2012, 12:50 PM
If You're heading to HMS, try a pack of Ko"olau Alohi's......

hawaii 50
08-12-2012, 01:04 PM
If You're heading to HMS, try a pack of Ko"olau Alohi's......

stan you like the alohi's which ones you do you like do they have LowG

mm stan
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Aloha Staci,
Yes I like them on some ukes, but not all but it's worth to give them a try....I have tried the Low G once on a uke that was really bright and did not like it....
but the regular ones really do sweeten up the tone on some ukes...Elderly has them and the Low G http://elderly.com/accessories/cat_or_pgc_page?page=5&query_start=81&step=20&cat_or_pgc=STUK&special_links=&sort_on=cat_or_pgc,artist,title&reverse_str=&instock_only= Hope it helps...Happy Strummings...

sukie
08-12-2012, 01:49 PM
D'Addario T2s on my Moore Bettah.

808boy
08-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Tenors....Southcoast G-650 Flatwounds for low g's, Koolau Alohis for re-entrant, as well as Aquilas.
Concerts.....Koolau Alohis, re-entrant and low g (wound 3rd and 4th, and just wound 4th), some Aquilas
Soprano.....Martin 600s, Aquilas
Yet to try Living Waters, Aaron's, Worths...........................

kalanz808
08-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Went to HMS today where Mike dropped a bunch of knowledge on me and gave great recommendations. Decided on these:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/kdiddy808/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0314.jpg

Still have yet to string 'em on the 'uke but i'm excited. They also give out kewl stickers!!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/kdiddy808/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7270.jpg

OldePhart
08-12-2012, 03:13 PM
What kind of uke strings do I prefer? The ones that work best on my uke.

My two sopranos love clear fluorocarbon "heavy" strings.

My mahogany low-g tenor likes Aquilas.

My mango high-g tenor likes Ko'Olau golds.

My KoAloha longneck soprano likes medium clear fluorocarbon strings...

John

Doc_J
08-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Went to HMS today where Mike dropped a bunch of knowledge on me and gave great recommendations. Decided on these:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/kdiddy808/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0314.jpg

Still have yet to string 'em on the 'uke but i'm excited. They also give out kewl stickers!!

I've got the Nyltechs on 2 ukes and really like them. Still it's good to have a few different string types around. I also keep Martins, Aquila, South Coast, Worth and Alohi strings around too.

Hippie Dribble
08-12-2012, 04:28 PM
my favourite strings are worth clear fluorocarbons. I also like southcoasts and Ken's living water strings too. I don't like aquila strings at all and have only heard one uke that sounds nice with them...a mahalo les paul copy soprano. Have not yet tried d'addarios or martins or alohis, but hope to soon.

connor013
08-12-2012, 04:34 PM
South Coasts for me, then Worth browns, then Worth clears.

Dug the sound of the D'Addario T2s a bunch of us got to sample, but didn't like the feel of them. Same for Alohis, Mahanas, and Aquilas.

As only a sort-of high jack, can anyone recommend a brighter sounding string (think Alohis) with a feel more like Worth CMs?

Loz
08-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Worth Clears for my Mya Moe and my Ko'olau - they sound nice and clean to me

Hippie Dribble
08-12-2012, 04:37 PM
a brighter sounding string (think Alohis) with a feel more like Worth CMs?

Pyramids? I'm a fan of those too Connor and they are a little brighter than the worths.

connor013
08-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Pyramids? I'm a fan of those too Connor and they are a little brighter than the worths.

These are the same Pyramids that Bruko uses... and everyone rails against?

Hippie Dribble
08-12-2012, 05:13 PM
These are the same Pyramids that Bruko uses... and everyone rails against?

yeah mate, the very same. Just put a set on a spruce/maple Kamoa soprano...it came to me with aquilas and it sounded horrible, it really did...all thick and congealed and no note separation at al all. Also, poor projection and a strangled kind of tone. Put the pyramids on and it's now got excellent sustain, a rounded, sweet tone and significantly better volume....100% improvement. Liked em on my brukos too. Don't understand why they get such bad press myself. Maybe they're slightly harder on the fingers but it makes no difference to me.

MisterRios
08-13-2012, 03:45 AM
Martin M600s. I never really cared for Aquilas. I found the Martins really brought out the voice on my Ohanas. I did try Worth Browns, but there was something that I didn't like about them. The bark? But I put them on my Kala Laminate Pineapple, and they sound pretty darned good!

String availability is a bit limited here in Germany, but I do have some PHD and Living Water Strings that I plan on using whenever Ohana ships that sweet Concert Pineapple they showed at NAMM and Frankfurt.

The Orange Mage
08-13-2012, 03:57 AM
Strings really depend on the instrument and the style of play, and vice versa, etc etc. :p

My first uke was my Tenor with an Aquila wound Low-G set, because I wasn't sure if I wanted a Tenor or Baritone and thus compromised! However, I wasn't fond of the overpowering sound the wound strings gave, so I switched the G and C for the Aquila Reds.

For my Gibson, I ended up putting Worth Clears on and am just amazed at the little old thing!

gyosh
08-13-2012, 04:25 AM
I really like PhD strings on my Koa ukes.

On Spruce and cedar tops I really like the Southcoast linear G650's

Both sets of strings are really balanced from string to string and that's important to me. I haven't tried the PhD's on my spruce or cedar tops yet, but I have a feeling they'll sound great. And there is no better person than Dirk of Southcoast Strings to ask for advice.

barefootgypsy
08-13-2012, 04:52 AM
I like Living Water Strings, they're fluorocarbons and sound great on my Tanglewood. There's now a low G set available in that range too - it's good!

ancient
08-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Worth clears on all my Collings ukes work best for me.

ukuLily Mars
08-13-2012, 07:21 AM
I put Ko'olau Golds on my Blue Dolphin and I really like them. I liked the Aquilas but I think I like these more. I have Alohis in the on-deck circle but I may order some Living Water strings and go with those next. But so far the Golds are my favorite; at any rate they feel good to me, and they sound good for my playing style, at least to me.

Plus they're yellow. YELLOW. 'Nuff said.

Pundabaya
08-13-2012, 07:40 AM
I've got Worth CMs on my Fluke at the moment, lovely chimey sound.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Good old strings threads. Love 'em. Nice to hear what's working for everyone lately.

The best recent strings/ukulele matches for me are:

Ko'olau Mahana/Kamaka standard
D'Addario J65/Islander plastic uke
GHS/Kiwaya KS-0P pineapple soprano
Ko'olau Gold/Kala KA-B baritone
Aquila/vintage Harmony soprano
factory black nylon strings/Mahalo Dolphin

I play each set of strings for at least a couple weeks before judging sound and feel. Generally, I prefer nylon strings over fluorocarbon strings, but I'm sure a fluorocarbon set will find its way onto one of my ukes in the coming months.

molokinirum
08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
I have only used Aquila and Kamaka. Happy with the sound from them.

Plainsong
08-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Yeah it's really got to depend on your fingers. I remember a t2 review where the guy said it really suits his non-fingernail style. I don't use nails either, which probably goes a long way to way I like em. :)

rreffner
08-13-2012, 08:54 AM
SouthCoast mediums on my Kamaka tenor and spruce top/ebony Pono concert. Both high re-entrant.

edstrummer
08-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Worth Clears with a wound Aquila low G on my Cordoba 20TM-CE and Living Water Hi G on my Anue nue Papa III. Like the florocarbons.
Ed.

OldePhart
08-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah it's really got to depend on your fingers. I remember a t2 review where the guy said it really suits his non-fingernail style. I don't use nails either, which probably goes a long way to way I like em. :)

Strings are definitely a very personal kind of thing. Depends on uke and the uker. I'd heard so many glowing reviews of the T2s that I'd considered ordering some, then stayed in a cabin with a guy at UWC who had them on his Ohana vita uke and hated them so much they'd kind of put him off the uke (string broke and he hadn't gotten around to replacing them). So, we popped some Seaguar leaders on there and he fell in love with it all over again.

(It was a pretty awesome little uke, BTW. If his is representative of the Ohana Vita ukes I kinda want one.)

John

foxfair
08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Check this document out: Ukes and Uke String Ratings (https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuA5aHe3aBbRdHB1aWF2a0U5c01fMWFob2RSODJHd kE&authkey=CJmiu9kC&authkey=CJmiu9kC#gid=0)

Comments are made by UUers.

OldePhart
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Check this document out: Ukes and Uke String Ratings (https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuA5aHe3aBbRdHB1aWF2a0U5c01fMWFob2RSODJHd kE&authkey=CJmiu9kC&authkey=CJmiu9kC#gid=0)

Comments are made by UUers.

Cool idea - I added about a dozen or so entries. :)

26tiki
09-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Have a concert Ohana that came with Aquilas, loved playing it. They're harder on the fingertips but I find I can get a more varied sound from them (e.g.: bouncing and muting etc) which seems to work really well for my kind of playing. Put on some Worth Browns and while I love the sound of them they just don't fit into the way I want to able to play a string.
my two cents;)

Nickie
09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
I just restrung a friend's uke with Ko'Olau golds, but I don't use anything but Aquilas on my Kala. Love 'em!

Pundabaya
09-22-2012, 04:06 AM
Just stuck Living Water strings on the Bruko and the Fluke. Bruko: wonderful! Maintains the Bruko's unique tone, but much cleaner sounding than the Pyramids that came with it. More projection too, they really drive that mahogany top. On the Fluke they sound great, but I decided to try Low G concerts on it, and the Low G sound will take a little getting used to. Great for picking alternate-bass patterns though!

OldePhart
09-22-2012, 05:29 AM
It's very dependent on the uke. Most of my ukes have Seaguar (fluorocarbon fishing leader) strings in various gage "formulas" but I have Aquila low-g on my mahogany tenor cutaway and Ko'olau Golds are probably the only thing I'll put on my mango tenor as long as they remain available.

UkuleleSprinter
09-22-2012, 06:05 AM
WORTH CTs, hands down. The thin & light feeling of fluorocarbon strings beat out any nylon or synthetic gut strings I ever used.

Freemont Blackline and Martin M620s work very well too.

hibiscus
09-22-2012, 06:33 AM
See below:-) I do not like Aquilas at all! I'm not sure why~ we all like and dislike different things.

ancient
09-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know the gauges if the Living Water strings? Before I order a set I would like to know the gauge of the Concert and the Tenor set.

vanflynn
09-22-2012, 09:53 AM
http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

See table at the bottom. I have some on order and am looking forward to trying