Hey everyone, new ukulele player here!

the_walrus0

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a former guitar player and current tin whistler who's also become smitten with the ukulele and the banjo! I couldn't afford a banjo or a banjolele but that's ok because I am discovering the lovely sounds of the soprano ukulele. :)

I really enjoy the Luna brand guitar so I figured I would check out their ukuleles and, after messing around at the music store, fell in love with this ukulele.

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/greatwavesopranouke.php

I bought it along with a little clip on tuner since my electric tuner is a pain in the butt.

::)

I'm already loving it! Though I broke a string attempting to tune. It's okay though. All part of playing a string instrument. I've been playing the whistle for so long, it took me a bit to get used to the strings again. I am glad I have guitar background because chords already make sense to me.

I'm changing the strings tomorrow and the first song I'll try for is Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

I may have some silly questions coming your way!

Btw there were some beautiful ukuleles at the music store and I have a raging whistle disorder already so I'm sure I'll have multiple ukuleles within the next month or two.

Hi and welcome

from another newbie. I too had some very limited guitar experience from way back but it does help to quickly make you feel comfortable at learning chords, the right hand strum patterns are a different story!! After only 2 months playing I can play a few songs and am still practicing the chords in Boot Camp. I have also invested in a 'banjolele' which is great if I need more volume or want to do a bit of Formby stuff!! Have fun , there are some great people on here who will offer you help if needed....Harry.

Hello the_walrus0,
Welcome to UU. As Trinimon has said this is the right place.
Jim

Last edited:
Haha! Well I'm a girl so my raging whistle disorder is legit. No baggy trousers here, just way too many whistles!

I really love my whistles but I was looking for an instrument I can sing along with. After playing a whistle I knew I couldn't go back to guitar! I needed something more interesting. :p

I actually watched a very interesting documentary on banjos the other day and
while doing banjo research found the ukulele.

I really had no idea ukuleles could have so many different styles played on them, because I've only been exposed to those god awful toy ukuleles.

Goo, Goo, ka Joob! & Welcome, "The Walrus"!

Glad you found our little corner of the web. I'm sure you will find it a pretty cozy place full of others smitten by the ukulele obsession.

Mahalo!

Hi Walrus and welcome. I've been here since June and that's when I bought my first ukulele. I now have two, a tenor and a baritone. I managed to find a ukulele group and I'm having a lot of fun with them. Your uke will keep you warm on those below zero winter nights up there in Anchorage.:)

Aloha WalrusO,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...isn't the ukulele so fun...have fun and Happy Strummings....

Hello and welcome to UU! Glad that you found us!

Top Bottom