UU+ Paypal

Ron98GT

Reaction score
So, apparently sometime last year I signed up for UU+ and paid $120 for 12 months of lessons, which expired several months ago. This morning I get an email from Paypal stating that my credit card just got hit for $120, to Ukulele Underground.

How do I cancel this thing and get my money back? :confused:

You can cancel the recurring payment via paypal. As for a refund, I don't know about that one.

So, apparently sometime last year I signed up for UU+ and paid $120 for 12 months of lessons, which expired several months ago. This morning I get an email from Paypal stating that my credit card just got hit for $120, to Ukulele Underground.

How do I cancel this thing and get my money back? :confused:

I thought UU+ at $120 annual was NOT recurring. I signed up under that understanding. Ron98GT, please PM me and tell me who you contacted about your account and how. Thank you. --

I thought UU+ at $120 annual was NOT recurring. I signed up under that understanding. Ron98GT, please PM me and tell me who you contacted about your account and how. Thank you. --

That was my understanding. My year ended several months ago. I haven't had access. Then out of the blue, Monday morning I get an email from Paypal that my credit card got billed for $120. No notice, no nothing. Now I'm trying to figure out how to cancel this thing and get a refund. This was NOT authorized - Beware.

I'll try again to to contact Paypal today.

But I can't believe that there is no-one at UU that I can contact.

For those who don't know how to check if they are set up as recurring payments....from Paypal Help:

I've signed up and paid for a preapproved payment agreement, such as a recurring payment, subscription, automatic billing or installment plan. How can I find it?
Here’s how to view your preapproved payment information:

Click Profile near the top of the page.
Click My money under My Profile.
Click the agreements you want to view in the My preapproved payments section.
Please note that you should contact the seller directly with questions about your plan. You can find your seller's contact details in the email you received when you signed up for your plan, or in the transaction details for the plan in your PayPal account.

Freeda, you have no idea how much that helped me. I followed your steps and, although UU+ was not on my Paypal account, a couple other things were (zappos, itunes, etc) that I never recall authing recurrent payments. Thanks-- I deleted them/inactivated them. Im going to check that--and it's buried in there, I'd never find it without your advice--every six months or so.

Ron, did/does UU+ show up in your Paypal authed recurring payments?

That's awesome Freeda. I just checked mine and discovered 2 that I didn't know were set to be recurring on PP.

That was my understanding. My year ended several months ago. I haven't had access. Then out of the blue, Monday morning I get an email from Paypal that my credit card got billed for $120. No notice, no nothing. Now I'm trying to figure out how to cancel this thing and get a refund. This was NOT authorized - Beware.

I'll try again to to contact Paypal today.

But I can't believe that there is no-one at UU that I can contact.

OK, just talked to Aaron(?). He said that the UU+ is recurring. He also said that he will reimburse the $120.

So, if you don't plan on renewing your UU+, you need to figure out how to cancel it, before it hits your Paypal account and/or credit card. Apparently, there is a way by logging into UU+, but I couldn't log-in when Aaron(?) was on the phone to find out.

One was my Flickr account, which I renew manually every year anyway. The other was an online WeightWatchers account that I set up for a 3 month trial and which they claim I can only cancel via email with them directly. Be fun to see them try to collect payment next month :)

I have alerted the proper party to your issue.

Hey Ron, sorry for the issues. There was a couple of things at work that caused the problem. There was an issue last year where some people's UU+ accounts were not linked properly to the paypal subscription. This caused the all kinds of issues from people deleting their accounts before canceling the subscription and also not being able to login after the time period to cancel. This has since been fixed.

The second thing was we had initially set the yearly plan as a recurring subscription and it said so on the sign up page. Our initial thinking was this is how web hosting companies charge so it would be ok. We later removed the yearly plan a few months after launching UU+ because we realized that unlike web hosting, most people would forget that they signed up for UU+ a year later and then blame us for charging them. (Which turned out to be the case since this happened quite a bit the last 2 months). We've refunded anyone who has told us they forgot that they signed up for the yearly subscription for UU+. If anyone has been billed for UU+ yearly plan when they though they had canceled they can just email me and I will take care of it and refund (email in sig). It's not our intention to make money like that or to trick people into this so we hope you'll forgive us. It was an honest mistake on our part and we've since fixed it upon relaunching the front page.

The yearly subscription now for UU+ is set to NOT auto renew and automatically expire after a year to prevent this issue in the future.

Thanks for giving UU+ a try.

Hey Ron, sorry for the issues. There was a couple of things at work that caused the problem. There was an issue last year where some people's UU+ accounts were not linked properly to the paypal subscription. This caused the all kinds of issues from people deleting their accounts before canceling the subscription and also not being able to login after the time period to cancel. This has since been fixed.

The second thing was we had initially set the yearly plan as a recurring subscription and it said so on the sign up page. Our initial thinking was this is how web hosting companies charge so it would be ok. We later removed the yearly plan a few months after launching UU+ because we realized that unlike web hosting, most people would forget that they signed up for UU+ a year later and then blame us for charging them. (Which turned out to be the case since this happened quite a bit the last 2 months). We've refunded anyone who has told us they forgot that they signed up for the yearly subscription for UU+. If anyone has been billed for UU+ yearly plan when they though they had canceled they can just email me and I will take care of it and refund (email in sig). It's not our intention to make money like that or to trick people into this so we hope you'll forgive us. It was an honest mistake on our part and we've since fixed it upon relaunching the front page.

The yearly subscription now for UU+ is set to NOT auto renew and automatically expire after a year to prevent this issue in the future.

Thanks for giving UU+ a try.

Thanks, :shaka:

Top Bottom