First completed tenor-completely from scratch.

Livetosculpt

Reaction score
Here is my first completed tenor uke. It's my original design, and it plays and sounds as good as any of the custom ukes I've had. I'm very pleased with it. I made the back and sides from a douglas fir 4X4 I found at Home Depot, and the top was an old piece of redwood someone gave me. The only parts I did not make are the tuning machines, fret wire, and strings!

Attachments

• John#1.jpg
    John#1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 126
  • John#2.jpg
    John#2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 105
  • John#4.jpg
    John#4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 87
  • John#5.jpg
    John#5.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 76
  • John#6.jpg
    John#6.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 86
Beautiful! I really love the shape, in spite of the fact that I have only ever liked the traditional figure of eight shape up til now; it's very fluid... what a lovely uke, congratulations!

Very clean craftsmanship. The Doug fir looks great.

I wish someone would give me an old piece of marbled redwood.

I was walking through the construction lumber section of Home Depot and saw the end of this Doug Fir 4X4, it was the only quarter sawn 4X4 out of a hundred of them, and beautiful. So I purchased it, took it home and re-sawed it on my bandsaw and made a back and sides with it. It cost $11 US and I have enough left over for many more. This was my first completed uke, I finished it a few months ago. The Jarana,from my other post was number one, but I didn't realize that I should cut the fret slots before I glued the fretboard to the neck, and I haven't figured how to cut them accurately now. I'm teaching myself all this as I build, and I'll never make that mistake again! The Doug Fir uke sounds lovely.

My friend Francisco gave me the Redwood. He also gave me the piece of bearclaw spruce I used on my 6 string. We began learning how to build at the same time last fall, and he's building Jaranas.

Great job Livetosculpt. Shape looks nice, reminds me of my old Fender Jaguar. Watch out for that pointy part on the headstock though.

I love the grain on the back!

Top Bottom